*NO* Mega Man X 'Bullet Fists of Lightning Fury'

DragonAvenger

My laptop touchpad somehow registered a click and sent the email off before I had a chance to put the attachment on! :S Sorry!

ReMix Title: Bullet Fists of Lightning Fury

ReMixer name: ergosonic

Email address: masterg1390@gmail.com

User ID: 32954

Game: Mega Man X

Original Song: Spark Mandrill

Source: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CYdSLaVu9p4

Comments:

So I ended up joining the Maverick Rising project, and I decided to work on Spark Mandrill, as I've always loved the stage's music! My inspiration for this track is 70s/80s progressive rock/thrash metal.

To me, the structure of the song was influenced by playing the game, as I usually do that to get inspiration for any tracks I do. I run through the changes, I alter the chord progression slightly the second time through the progression, and then I have a solo middle section that builds up to return to the first (original) chord progression of the track. Bahamut convinced me to sub this, so here I am submitting my first mix! Hope you guys like it! :)

---------------------

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CYdSLaVu9p4

So there is tons of pretty awesome playing here, but I'm only hearing the source from 0:00-0:57 and then from 3:22-End (and the second half has some more arrangement that could be sourced out even shorter). On high end, that's giving us 1:34 of source out of a 3:59 track. To add to that, the source and the soloing are pretty mutually exclusive, and a lot of the source feels pretty coverish.

Still an awesome track, and a good project track, but there isn't enough for it to pass here.

NO

• 2 weeks later...

The style was spot on, and the playing was great, but I gotta agree that this one wasn't quite adding up for me.

The sections of the source that were there overpowered by solo after solo, which was very cool, but not really connected to the source. The drums were nice and varied, and the new sections sounded good, but it wasn't quite enough source.

The production was a little too scooped, with a pretty big hole in the mids, and some balance that could have been cleaner. I think looking at the rhythm guitars mainly there.

It's enjoyable, but between the production issues and the arrangement, it's gonna be a No.

• 3 weeks later...

No frills, but a solidly put together metal cover of Spark Mandrill. It's one of those subs I hate to judge because while the departures in this sound great, and flow well from the VG material, they make this song very liberal. Besides what Deia already pointed out, I'd count 1:22-1:43 as source usage, but I'd also take 5 seconds out of the ending for a drum solo. Suffice to say, this is at best close to the line of source dominance. I also heard that gap in the mids that the rhythm guitars could have filled in, and those two issues in conjunction make me want to push for another version. If not, I think this is fine for a project track, where the standards are a little laxer. I hope you send more our way!

NO (resubmit)