*NO* Mega Man Battle Network 4 'Full Synchro'

DragonAvenger

Hey, again. Very, *very* sorry for the delay. School definitely caught up with me, and then my computer died, so I haven't had time to do the revisions I wanted to after I saw this email until just recently. And, in case it was lost from before, here's the text from my initial submission email.

ReMixer: SiriusBeatz

email: ike.elele@gmail.com

userid = 33208

Submission Info

Title: 'Full Synchro'

Game Arranged: Mega Man Battle Network 4 Red Sun (system: GBA)

Songs Arranged: Title Screen music (link:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8pdru8F4HU4) and Battle Pressure (link:

)

Composer: Toshihiko Horiyama

Additional Comments:

I've been a pretty big fan of the Mega Man series for a while ever since I first picked up Mega Man X back in 1996 or so. I was never particularly good at the main series games, but I had much better luck with the Battle Network series. I was a little disappointed to see that there had been no ReMixes of any of the games' music up until now. Battle Network wasn't nearly as memorable as the classic Mega Man games, but I certainly had a lot of fun with them; that was in no small part due to the really catchy music. Here, I've taken the boss battle theme from Battle Network 4, which despite having one of my favorite tracks from the series, was probably one of my least favorite to play because of the rather contrived storyline. The title music also quotes the second theme from the boss battle music, so I decided to incorporate that briefly as well. I'm still very new to Reason and music production in general, so there are probably things that still need cleaning up, but for being mixed through cheap headphones on a crummy laptop, I'm pretty satisfied with how it turned out.

Ike

-------------------

- Battle

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8pdru8F4HU4 - Title

• 2 weeks later...

First the good- that gated transition was sick, and I thought the synth solo was really nice as well. The source itself is very cool as well. The ending was fun as well, and the piano breakdown was well timed and worked very well.

There are a lot of little things that are bringing this down though. First, the kick drum is more felt than heard; it definitely needs to cut more to feel more powerful. The lead synth isn't quite piercing, but there are a few notes that reaaaaly come close. The arrangement was decent but felt a little long. I think trimming it down ever-so-slightly, or adding more variation would do it good. overall, it was also pretty loud. I think it could be toned down slightly volumewise.

Overall a good start, but it needs a little more power in the production, and some more variation to get rid of some repetition.

No, please resubmit

I like the sources you've picked here, they definitely have potential. Right now you have a pretty high energy mix that has some nice spots. The transitions between sections are all pretty good, but overall I felt like the track was pretty repetitious. I think you could cut maybe up to a third of the repeating sections out which would condense the mix and give it a bit of an energy boost overall.

The track overall is pretty loud, although it isn't really over-compressed or anything. Along with that the lead synth isn't quite piercing, but it cuts through the soundscape a lot more than any of the other synths and doesn't mesh as well as it could. The drums are lacking energy in both sequencing, and the kick could cut through a little more.

I think you've got a good start, and the arrangement is pretty much there, but it needs some trimming and production fixes.

NO (resubmit)

• 1 month later...

Sorry, I wasn't a fan of this mix. The two themes didn't complement each other well, and the transitions between the two felt awkward to me. The mixing was very unpolished and it sounded like you were using heavy compression to make up it. The instruments aren't sitting that well in the soundscape together, and the leads are often too overpowering. When the breakbeats entered the picture, the drums lost their clarity. I'd have liked to see you use more EQ to cut away the unnecessary parts of the instruments and balance it better. But given that the arrangement never quite gelled for me either, I think this needs some major rethinking before I would pass it.

NO