*NO* Final Fantasy 'Requiem for a Dying World'

DragonAvenger

Hi and happy New Year to all of you from France! All the best for 2011! :)

Here's the collab-arrangement of 'Dead Music' from FF1, made for Brandon Strader's FF1 album project. He's shooting for OCR release, so it may be considered as a project track in the future if the project is accepted.

LINK - FF1 'Requiem for a Dying World' :

Contact Information

Your ReMixer name: Chernabogue, Brandon Strader

Your real name: Alexandre Mourey, Brandon Strader

Your email address: chernabogue@gmail.com ;

Your websit: Not yet for me, www.bestrader.net for Brandon

Your userid: Chernabogue = 20943 ; Brandon Strader = 3123

Submission Information

Name of game(s) arranged: Final Fantasy I

Name of individual song(s) arranged: 'Dead Music'

Additional information about game including composer, system, etc.: Nobuo Uematsu/NES

Link to the original soundtrack:

Your own comments about the mix, for example the inspiration behind it, how it was made, etc: Brandon started the FFIX project, but it was then directed by Fishy (that's what I read). He decided to make a heavy metal album to cover FF1 and I joined it, though I was not as good as other metalheads involved in the project. I first wanted to do 'Victory Fanfare', but it was already claimed by NintenJoe, so I decided to do 'Dead Music'. The source is simple but very effective. An organ/guitar duet was pretty obvious to do. I did all the arrangement and Brandon recorded the guitars and bass for the track. He opted for mellotrons instead of organ and the result is incredible! The final recordings and production were done on New Year (and M. Strader want to add that he was drunk). From Brandon: "I finished it on New Years, and I was drunk. It was an honor to work with Chernabogue on this song, because the arrangement is incredible. Thanks for letting me slap all those mellotrons on there!"

I hope everything's okay! If not, don't hesitate to tell/ask me! Cheers!

-Alex

------------------

• 3 weeks later...

This is definitely a fun source to work with, and there is plenty of fun to be had with even using just the chord structure. Both of you have used that to your advantage, but I think overall this just goes on for too long using that route. There's only so much of the same chords with new solos or variations that one can take in one arrangement. The sections individually are fine, so I'd just pick a few to drop.

Production honestly isn't wowing me here. Guitars are way loud, and they crowd pretty much everything out. Because of that, some of the end sections feel overly crowded. Please adjust the overall balance on the instruments. Mellotron isn't doing it for me personally, but see what the other judges think. If nothing else, I'd like you to fix up the mechanical sequencing on it.

Lots of fun in this arrangement, but it needs to be trimmed, and the production needs some work.

NO (resubmit)

• 3 weeks later...

Pretty much in agreement here. The arrangement has a lot of variety, but things tend to drag a little. The rhythm guitar tone is good, but is mad overcompressed. THe lead tone sounds good as well, but some of the solos sound like they are outside of your comfort level and don't quite click. THere are also some parts that sound really loose rhythmwise, and when you are going for this super heavy sound, it is crucial that the rhythm section locks together, or it doesn't sound heavy at all.

Good start, but needs more polish.

No, please resubmit

• 2 weeks later...

First thing I notice is that the intro is very shrill in the 2-4kHz range. fill it out! The guitars are loud even for the style, at least when they first come in. The arrangement is pretty straightforward, and the break at 2:00 isn't dynamically warranted and seems just awkward. I like the next section; the guitar solos are cool, though you might might add more verb to the leads to distinguish them sonically from the rhythm guitars.

As the track goes on, the arrangement grows on me. However, some of the performances are a bit wonky rhythmically. You should really tighten up the rhythm guitars, and trim some of the unnecessary frequencies. Also, the compression is really too audible towards the end. The mix is breathing with the guitars. bring them down.

I think this is a pretty cool track, it just needs some mixing tweaks.

NO