Chris

CJthemusicdude@gmail.com

CJthemusicdude.com

CJthemusicdude

Submission Information

Name of game(s) arranged: Sonic Spinball

Name of individual song(s) arranged: Lava Power house

Name of remix: Steam Filter

Additional information: System = Genesis.

Link to the original soundtrack: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6apIXTeqO0U

Your own comments about the mix: Well as part of my New Year's resolution I have decided to submit a remix once a month in order to improve my music and focus more. I'm really proud of this mix. Looking back, my last few submissions probably weren't my best work, but this one was done a lot better. Sonic Spinball has a killer soundtrack and I always loved the intense, industrial feel of this track.

----------------------------

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6apIXTeqO0U

• 3 weeks later...

I can't say I'm impressed with the source tune, but there are a lot of different things you've done here that are definite improvements over the source. The arrangement has some personalization to it, but you can still hear the source pretty much throughout. I think the mix is too long overall. I think you can trim the fat here, and keep the more interesting sections of the mix.

The sounds are pretty vanilla, and they aren't really conveying any energy in them. Immediately I wished the bass had a little more bite to it, for example. The textures throughout are pretty sparse, and I felt like there were times where there was a lot of empty space. The panning is used tastefully at times, although near the end it felt a little strange.

You've got a good start here, but it needs work on both arrangement and production. Glad to see you have some drive to improve!

NO (resubmit)

• 4 weeks later...

I think Deia said things pretty well here, there is some good interpretation, and the mix takes the strengths of the original and improves upon them, but it needs to go a little bit further. It felt like there was a good deal of repetition that could have been trimmed or expanded on, and the sounds used were pretty solid, with some nice filtering effects, but seemed a little vanilla, which when combined with the repetitive nature of the track, made it seem old long before it's time.

It's a great start, and a solid foundation, but it could use a little bit more going on in the later sections, and a little more variety. :-)

No, please resubmit

• 4 weeks later...

I actually like this source tune a lot; the second half moreso than the first, but I still have nostalgia for this crappy game. ;D

overall the arrangement is conservative but there's a good deal of expansion and modification of the structure. the second half meanders a bit as OA mentioned and just needs some more meat, but the defaulty-sounding synths and samples are what really hold this back for me. not sure what advice to give in that regard other than to keep experimenting. even with simple sounds you can always make something unique with some clever effects and EQ.

NO(resub)