*NO* Seven Gates of Jambala 'Alternative Party Mix'

OceansAndrew

• 4 weeks later...

Very fun and obscure source. Some fun things you've done here, overall adding some good head boppin' to the source and really making it fit for a party. There's a good deal of stuff added to the mix, but overall it feels a bit conservative. The melody and structure remain pretty close to the original, and even at times the sounds feel similar to the source. I think you could do more to expand on this overall and add more of your own flavor to it.

There are times where the mix overall feels very crowded. Compression is running somewhat high, and though it gives some of that party feeling, it could be toned down. The bass is huge throughout, which is clashing a bit with the lead synths at times. Overall the balance needs some work.

Pretty solid start, but you need to hit up some of the arrangement and play with the production as well.

NO (resubmit)

• 3 weeks later...

RMS is pretty intense here, but the feel of the track is nice, very upbeat, and the triplets are fun, and give the beat a different feel than i'd expect from a typical dance piece. The bass is pushing too much into the space occupied by the melody, making the balance feel pretty off in spots.

The transitions weren't seamless, but considering how they were handled, it worked pretty well. I think based on the modulation inherent in the sources, it was a good choice. The vocoded part was cool too, and fit the song.

Arrangement-wise, it seemed pretty conservative in spots, and I think the track ran a little long.

A little polish and this one is good, you have a nice start!

No, please resubmit

• 3 weeks later...

wow, really digging this source tune. the bass is definitely hogging the space a bit with that squishy upper end. your leads might cut through a little better if you backed off the bass but I think you could boost the mid/high's on 'em a little anyway. some of the sampled instruments such as the steel drums were mechanically sequenced. arrangement wise it takes the conservative route, and I agree with my fellow J's that there is some more room for expansion, especially with the main melodies. not sure what I thought about the vocoded talking, seemed a little random when they enter, but they led nicely into the next section.

main thing holding this back for me is the mixing/balancing issues. I'm cool with the arrangement, but as said, some more expansion wouldn't hurt. :)

NO(resub)