Midi Arrangement Help? (Orchestration, People with Sample Libraries, etc... wanted)

markhansavon

Well, I know that I probably won't find a soul out there that would help without being paid x_x, but I'm working on a mock-up fan-made theme song for The Last Story, and I was wondering if anyone would be interested in "finishing off" what I have down so far?

Here's what I've got so far on the outline:

http://www.astralojia.com/music/TLS-MT.mid

All of the leads/melodies are done, it just (just isn't a word for it x_x) needs the accompaniment instruments.

I would hand you the midi file with tags that have the chords written on them. The song would be completed like...

Outline MIDI File - Still needs quantizing and fixing up, which I'll handle in a day or two.

MIDI Arrangement/Orchestration - Next up, this part takes a lot of time and knowledge about what will work and what won't. This is the part I want some help with. I will do a big chunk of the song, if someone else or even others would help out with doing other bars and parts. I will put Markers on the midi file (labeling chords), so using Sonar, Cubase or Logic would be a plus, but I'm sure Finale and Sibelius also support Markers.

Setting up the MIDI File for being run through a Sample Library - I will do this part. It just involves going in and separating each string track into long and short articulations like "Vlns Leg", "Vlns Stac", "Vlns Spic", "Horns Stac", "Horns Leg FF", etc.... This also includes making it so that the softer legato parts are pulled back a tad bit, as well as the marcatto/staccato/spiccato so that it doesn't start late. I'm not sure if East Wests Play Sampler and Kontakt use the CC11 Automation for expression/volume...It would probably be smarter to use CC7 (Volume) (I think it's 7, right?). I know that my sampler (Reason's NN-XT) doesn't support CC11, so in my case I have to change it to CC7.

Run it through a Sample Library - Find someone with a good sample library and have them run it through.

I know that probably no one will be up for it, but I thought I'd just throw it out there anyway. I will give you all of the credit, and I'm sure it will get many hits on youtube/exposure if you're into that kind of thing. x_x

P.S - There are a total of 88 bars, and I could probably finish about 20-40 of them if someone could finish another chunk. Even if someone could help out with just 10 bars or so, I'd still be very interested in collaborating with you.

Well, I know that I probably won't find a soul out there that would help without being paid x_x, but I'm working on a mock-up fan-made theme song for The Last Story, and I was wondering if anyone would be interested in "finishing off" what I have down so far?

Here's what I've got so far on the outline:

http://www.astralojia.com/music/TLS-MT.mid

All of the leads/melodies are done, it just (just isn't a word for it x_x) needs the accompaniment instruments.

I would hand you the midi file with tags that have the chords written on them. The song would be completed like...

Outline MIDI File - Still needs quantizing and fixing up, which I'll handle in a day or two.

MIDI Arrangement/Orchestration - Next up, this part takes a lot of time and knowledge about what will work and what won't. This is the part I want some help with. I will do a big chunk of the song, if someone else or even others would help out with doing other bars and parts. I will put Markers on the midi file (labeling chords), so using Sonar, Cubase or Logic would be a plus, but I'm sure Finale and Sibelius also support Markers.

Setting up the MIDI File for being run through a Sample Library - I will do this part. It just involves going in and separating each string track into long and short articulations like "Vlns Leg", "Vlns Stac", "Vlns Spic", "Horns Stac", "Horns Leg FF", etc.... This also includes making it so that the softer legato parts are pulled back a tad bit, as well as the marcatto/staccato/spiccato so that it doesn't start late. I'm not sure if East Wests Play Sampler and Kontakt use the CC11 Automation for expression/volume...It would probably be smarter to use CC7 (Volume) (I think it's 7, right?). I know that my sampler (Reason's NN-XT) doesn't support CC11, so in my case I have to change it to CC7.

Run it through a Sample Library - Find someone with a good sample library and have them run it through.

I know that probably no one will be up for it, but I thought I'd just throw it out there anyway. I will give you all of the credit, and I'm sure it will get many hits on youtube/exposure if you're into that kind of thing. x_x

P.S - There are a total of 88 bars, and I could probably finish about 20-40 of them if someone could finish another chunk. Even if someone could help out with just 10 bars or so, I'd still be very interested in collaborating with you.

It's not as simple as running something through a sample library. There needs to be time paid to delicate humanization. It's not a matter of just switching the articulations in MIDI. And it's different for every sample library, which is why it's better to leave articulations and humanization to the guy that has them.

Another thing: don't make separate tracks for different articulations. That would require a ridiculous amount of the same samples just for different articulations. Samplers like PLAY have something called "Keyswitch" articulations, where hitting a specific key would change the articulation. Naturally this WOULDN'T WORK if the articulation you want was suddenly in a different channel, because it's applying the keyswitch to the one channel, not to the other. The way you have it right now is that they'd open 4 of the same string patch and have a different articulation for each already on default, which just uses up more RAM.