Holy Grail, or more, an explanation of what happened

Brandon Strader

I was not planning to post this in Community now, especially with the acoustic album being 99% done. But something happened yesterday that I think needs to be addressed.

A little backstory: I've been uploading WAVs for the Holy Grail album on bandcamp since December 2010. I wanted to have a place where I could put all of my remixes where people could download the 320kbps or FLAC, and I'd personally have access to them on the internets. I was planning to go public with this after Sonic: The Sound of Speed comes out, in I think, April. Maybe later than that.

Yesterday, Emunator was putting the final touches on the art, and I really dug it. I finished transferring 4 CDs to different bandcamp pages which took a loooong time. Then I "reclaimed" my main one, uploaded the artwork so Emunator could see it, made it unhidden and sent him a link. Here is a log of that from my computer:

(8:39:27 AM) Oinkness: http://brandonstrader.bandcamp.com/album/holy-grail

(8:39:38 AM) Oinkness: it will get more tracks as i continue to upload wavs

(8:44:12 AM) Oinkness: your artwork looks great on it though

(8:44:22 AM) Oinkness: i need to actually write in your credit fo that

99826666-1.jpg

So while I waited for him to respond, I moved on to other things; playing games mainly. I think it was Left 4 Dead 2 with a friend or maybe some TF2, or Minecraft, to be honest my days have been running together and I have been having trouble focusing on any single thing.

Anyway, gaming is lots of fun, I usually play until I'm ready to go to sleep, I close out the game, the windows behind it also being closed. I don't like to leave Chrome open while I game because it and its tabs are a resource hog. Right now it's using probably over 400,000K but I digress.

I usually post music to my facebook page and nobody responds, or I get a response from my sister. That's what I was looking forward to, a post from her saying "Nice songs bro". So naturally I expected that to happen while I was gaming. It didn't happen, nobody commented on the wall or anything whatsoever. I didn't go into facebook to check this, I checked my email. I get email notifications from facebook in my email. As I had none, it didn't cross my mind. I forgot that I had made the page visible and I went to bed at around 9 or 10am. The next day I woke up around 8:52pm after a night of struggling to sleep and tossing around.

Then I saw the outrage everyone had about the Holy Grail still being on the net. It was never my intention to release it this early and with all of the songs public. I'm sorry some of them may have possibly been streaming but rest assured that none of them were downloaded.

Now I'd like to address the 2 other issues people had with this, the fact that each song cost $1 and the album as a whole cost $100.

When you upload a track to bandcamp, it automatically is set to cost $1. Being lazy and uploading mass quantity of wavs, I had not manually set them all to free at the time. I know it's one click, but cut me some slack. :-/ Like I said it wasn't time for it to ACTUALLY be public yet. That also explains the $100 price. If I had set it to $100,000 would people still be outraged? The high price was just that, it was a ridiculously high price that I thought was funny and unrealistic. In the end it saved the tracks, because NOBODY would pay $100 for them. And nobody did. If I had set it free, everyone would have all 12 unreleased tracks by now.

So to the project directors who saw the unreleased songs up, I'm sorry about that. I didn't and do not have intentions of leaking my own project songs early. I'd rather everyone experience them when they come out on the projects. It was a honest mistake and it's not one I will make again.

Halc told me how to hide the unreleased tracks properly on bandcamp. Thanks buddy!

Also I'll be taking OA's advice and focusing completely on the acoustic album until it is done. I don't think I will be able to get a proper night's sleep until I finish it. Working on that album is destroying me but it should be done soon..

Thanks for listening. This may be the most ridiculously structured album release post on OCR but, enjoy -_-