DragonAvenger

Kruai

Asa Price

asabprice@gmail.com

kruai.bandcamp.com

ID: 19037

Sonic & Knuckles

Death Egg Zone (Act 2)

Your own comments about the mix, for example the inspiration behind it, how it was made, etc.

Title: Eggs in Spaaace!

Remixer: Kruai

Hello! This is my first remix from Sonic & Knuckles. Basically, I saw this song and thought it looked rather ronery, since there's only one Death Egg mix and it's for Act 1. So, I made this! I wanted to keep the energy from the original song, but I wanted to make it more electronic than it already was. I love incorporating lots of sounds into my songs, so I have sounds I think I picked up from electro, drum&bass, and various other techno sources. I tend to make soundtrack-esque pieces, and I don't think this one is an exception. I made it using Reaper, samples I recorded, and various additives synths and filters.

Hope you enjoy it!

Kruai

--------------------

• 2 weeks later...

I like the source you've used here. You've taken this up a notch in tempo, and added lots of little personalizations. Despite all of that, I do feel like this gets repetitive, and feels very close to the source structurally, playing through a couple times before it closes out. I think you can do more here with the source and with some original material to give this more of your own edge.

There are times where the drumwork really works with what you've got, and other times where it feels completely on autopilot, which is strange. Take a look through and really work with those, because it's one of the strengths of the track at times, and could be a little more solid. The snare sound is also very bright, which could be toned down a little. Other sounds are somewhat generic, but I think you make them work.

I'm kind of on the edge for this one, but I think the arrangement needs that push. Hope you look at this one again.

NO (resubmit)

• 3 weeks later...

There are some parts that really sound nice, but it ends up feeling pretty repetitive by the end of the track. There are some nice small details throughout, but overall it kindof blends a little too much. The stutters were a very nice touch, and stuff like that definitely helps the track feel more exciting and cohesive. The main issue is that things are pressed so hard, it's hard for the track to breathe, and the dynamics are really reduced.

The sounds created are nice, and this is really close, but I think to pass it needs a little bit of the fat trimmed, and the dynamics to be more exciting. Keep it up! :-)

No, please resubmit

• 2 weeks later...

thoughts on production:

-the bass is too upfront. you could lower the volume a bit and still have a nice full low end.

-the kick was nice and thick, but the amen break felt kinda flimsy to me. needs more punch.

-notable lack of high frequencies all around. the mix is really focused in the lower mid/lows and your leads don't really cut through the arrangement, they sorta just sit on top of it.

-from the sound of it, you have the sidechain linked to your main kick which is causing your instruments to dip on every kick, even during the fills and rolls, which takes some of the excitement out of your builds. What I generally do is create a second kick which you can route it to go just to the instruments you want to pump, NOT through the master (this way you won't hear it, but it will still send the signal to the instruments you're pumping) so that you can change up your actual kick patterns without affecting everything else.

arrangement wise, I agree with Deia; it's fairly conservative and somewhat repetitive but there's lots of room for more interpretation. nice little embellishments on the melodies, but nothing too crazy. I thought the trippy section at 2:04 was a nice diversion, probably my favorite part of the mix. :)

overall, this could use some work in both departments, but there's some nice stuff going on. keep at it!

NO (resub)