The Mission Comes First - Zero Theme Remix

Kurushi

img.php?fid=1137

Alright, so I've reworked the mix, and it now has more on the production side of things. I think the drums sound kind of flat still, though I'm not sure how to fix that, and the song seems like it should be longer, but I don't know what else I should add. Anyway, I tried to add a bit more variation in the volume of the mix and the beat of the drums, and I removed the source sample at the end. So, questions, comments, critique? It still seems like it's missing something, but until I can figure out what it is, I'm open to suggestions.

And here's the source:

Megaman X - Zero's Theme 1

Also, still open for guitar samples! I'm a decent guitar player myself, and I think I could play the parts. Unfortunately, I have none of the prerequisite hardware to record live instruments. So, yeah...

When I first saw this posts title, I thought it was a Metroid: Zero Mission mix, but I guess I read that a bit too quickly. You might want to put a link to the source, and name the game a bit more explicitly. But so far, I think it has some potential. I'm not familiar with the original of this track, so I don't know how far or how close it stays, but it does sound like it has some good variation on the same theme.

Arrangement wise, as I said, I don't know the original tune here, but some of the bass part feels a bit repetitive. Also, on the percussion, you really could make a much bigger impact on the piece by utilizing it to draw to the power of some of your transitions, namely at 1:08 and 1:35. All the other instruments build up to that point, but the drums keep on pretty much the same loop. I think even just a little bit of variation there could really draw the attention to the intensity there.

Production-wise, yes, it lacks quite a bit. Number one, there are quite a few sections where it sounds really muddy, and the instruments just kinda mash together. Number two, the samples are a little weak for the moment. Also, the volume feels rather constant throughout, even though you have several clearly defined sections where the intensity changes.

And I'd probably say that's my opinion of the strongest part of this track - you have several places where the intensity does change around, with different instruments taking over and moving around, so it feels like a good basis. So I'd say keep building on that framework and try to polish things up, and make the dynamics of the piece have more variation. And if you can find a live guitar and work some more on synth samples, I think that would help a lot too.

This whole thing is over compressed.

There's too much reverb everywhere, though. The guitars sound really weak. The synth lead is nice, but it's the only thing here that stands.

The drums sound really thin, fake, a quiet. The hi hats are also really mechanical, you could vary the velocities on them to make them sound more human. Also, try the Addictive Drums demo to replace the drums in this song.

Nice arrangement but please, PLEASE remove that original source at the end. It sounds really cheesy and doesn't fit at all.

This song REALLY has potential and is more than amazing for a first start.

New version:

img.php?fid=1137

Alright, so I've reworked the mix, and it now has more on the production side of things. I think the drums sound kind of flat still, though I'm not sure how to fix that, and the song seems like it should be longer, but I don't know what else I should add. Anyway, I tried to add a bit more variation in the volume of the mix and the beat of the drums, and I removed the source sample at the end. So, questions, comments, critique? It still seems like it's missing something, but until I can figure out what it is, I'm open to suggestions.

And here's the source:

Megaman X - Zero's Theme 1

Also, still open for guitar samples! I'm a decent guitar player myself, and I think I could play the parts. Unfortunately, I have none of the prerequisite hardware to record live instruments. So, yeah...

(And Editing a post doesn't bump the thread, apparently... So disregard the first post now...)