*NO* Sonic the Hedgehog's Gameworld 'PicoBlue'

DragonAvenger

Ah the Pico.....actually I never even knew it existed before this mix challenge, so...*shrug*

The source itself is a little vanilla here, but I think you took it in a good direction. The main thing that's getting to me here is how repetitive your mix is. You rely on the same melody for a lot of this, and it gets to be too much. I think you could stand to cut out some of the repetition and replace it with either some original stuff or use a different part of the source.

Production is pretty clean and balanced, although it seems to be lacking the higher frequencies for a lot of this. The soundscape is pretty filled out, and overall the sounds are gelling together pretty well.

If you can cut down on the repetition overall, I'd like to hear this again.

NO (resubmit)

• 2 weeks later...

I really enjoy the direction this headed off in, though, it got a little too ambient in the upper register, where the bass was saying dance. It was a strange disconnect, with the seemingly background elements such as the gated synth and atmospheric pads pushed so far forward, and the melodic elements pushed behind them. I think that balance should be altered a little bit to emphasize the melodies more.

Re-balancing things should give it a bit of a stronger foundation to work with, and we can go from there. :-)

No, please resubmit

• 2 weeks later...

groovy source tune. I also like where you're going with the arrangement, but the mix overall is a bit muddy (seconding the lack of highs as well); it's a little tough to decipher those bass tones during the busier sections. the mix could use some more variation too, but bringing out the melodies more would probably help this flow better.

NO(resub)