Game: Final Fantasy

Song: Cornelia Castle

Original Composer: Nobuo Uematsu

Remixer: Knight_of_the_Round

UserID: 43205

Email: jmantwc@gmail.com

Original song link:

*Project track for "Final Fantasy: Random Encounter"*

Well, I was recruited by Brandon Strader to do a track for his metal based Final Fantasy 1 album about a year ago, which lead to this track.

I went for a more power-metal approach for this remix, given that the source is super-duper epic. I couldn't resist adding a polyrhythmic breakdown to the end, however :-D Remixing this song was pretty difficult because the source is only 19 seconds long. Fortunately, the source has 2 melodies playing over each other, so I was able to break these up into 2 parts. For the rest of the song, I wrote some riffs using the same scale and/or chord structure. Hope you guys enjoy this!

All drums were programmed via EZDrummer through Sony Acid, then sound replaced w/ Slate Trigger. Guitars were recorded with an 8 string guitar (tuned to dropped Eb) being played through an ENGL Fireball 60W head, into 2 VHT Fatbottom 4x12 cabinet (one with p50E's and one with V30's), mic'd with a Shure SM57 and an Audix I5, in addition to running a clean track through a marshall amp sim in PodFarm. Bass was recorded direct through a TechNYC SansAmp Bass Driver, then ran into PodFarm. I used Izotope Ozone3 for mastering.

-------------------

Right off it feels like the leads are getting overpowered by everything, which isn't surprising considering how hard everything's being pushed. Lots of compression on this overall, which I think you need to pull back so you can even the balance out on this. Arrangement is a bit straightforward, but certainly adequate, with some nice riffs and changes to minor here and there. Overall the playing is pretty sweet, no complaints there. The ending is pretty abrupt, I think you can do more with that as well.

Needs some tweaks, but it's on the right track.

NO (resubmit)

• 2 weeks later...

Nice chops for sure, no complaints about the playing at all.

The guitar tone and everything was very good as well, tight and punchy throughout, but this was crazy compressed, and had a few balance issues as a result.

I also thought that there could be more source used. THe original riffs you added were good, but It felt like the source played a minor role in the track as opposed to being featured. I think the variations idea on such a short source is the right move, so maybe something like doing it in half time would help it feel more dominant. Also, that ending was super weak. The track should end with a flourish, not just die. :-(

I think the foundation is really solid, but tone down the compression and get some more source to finish this off.

No, please resubmit

definitely have to agree on the overcompression, and I thought the leads were pretty buried by the rhythm guitars. I didn't think the source was underplayed personally, I could definitely hear it for most of the track, but it's hard to tell because of how buried the leads are. I also wasn't feeling the ending, but it wouldn't be a dealbreaker if the rest of the song was above the bar production wise.

over, pretty close imo. I think the arrangment is fine, but the stated production issues need to be addressed in order for this to pass.

NO(resub)