Who would play an old-school themed RPG with a deep, open world a la Fallout, Elder Scrolls?

zircon

Thanks for the kind words. This is all very motivating :D

I'm using Java with Slick2D, a subset of LWJGL (the same platform Minecraft uses.) Basically, this library provides some very basic functions like keyboard/mouse input and access to the graphics card, but that's it. Everything else about the engine has been coded from scratch.

Thanks for the kind words. This is all very motivating :D

I'm using Java with Slick2D, a subset of LWJGL (the same platform Minecraft uses.) Basically, this library provides some very basic functions like keyboard/mouse input and access to the graphics card, but that's it. Everything else about the engine has been coded from scratch.

Sweet thanks. I work as a Web Application Developer (Actionscript, PHP, Javascript, SQL, etc..) Done some very high end work in Actionscript and Flash. Lots of computer/human interaction and UI stuff. Also lots of database work as well. Have done Java in college. I'd love to be a part of this, if accepted. Will take a look over Slick2D and see how it relates to my experience. Got a couple things on my plate I want to accomplish currently. Will have to see if I can give it a realistic commitment after I look over things.

Def can't wait to see things come to fruition though. Love 16-bit style! Kudos for taking up the challenge dude.

Oh awesome, good to hear! Slick itself really isn't that hard to understand, since it just extends Java a bit. 99% of what I'm doing is just plain Java. Drawing and input is handled by Slick classes, but that's about it (not sure if I will do audio through Slick or roll my own.) I picked Java because it's very readable and understandable, plus I have experience with C#. It can also deploy to multiple platforms.

All good reasons. Generally speed/memory becomes the concern with Java but that should be less of an issue with an ASCII game.

I figure speed is not an issue when you're dealing with turn-based stuff especially. There is a decent amount of AI going on each turn but the only real-time things are the animations.

I suppose the next step here if I'm going to have anyone help would be for me to clean up everything I have (most of it is already commented) and finish any open-ended things I'm working on. For example, I was redoing the Entity class that manages NPCs, objects, and so on, as well as the map system. Once I do that I think we'll be at the point where features can be added piece by piece. For example, a system for using spells/skills exists, but there are only some basic types, likewise with statuses. More could be added modularly.

I figure speed is not an issue when you're dealing with turn-based stuff especially. There is a decent amount of AI going on each turn but the only real-time things are the animations.

I suppose the next step here if I'm going to have anyone help would be for me to clean up everything I have (most of it is already commented) and finish any open-ended things I'm working on. For example, I was redoing the Entity class that manages NPCs, objects, and so on, as well as the map system. Once I do that I think we'll be at the point where features can be added piece by piece. For example, a system for using spells/skills exists, but there are only some basic types, likewise with statuses. More could be added modularly.

I think it is a good idea. In my experience it's best to try not to plan too much in advance but aggressively refactor your existing stuff.