*NO* Quake 2 'Stroggification'

DragonAvenger

Hey guys, been a while since I submitted something, 9 years I think? :) Had this one sitting around since the end of last year and have been quite busy with work, travel and study so never got around to submitting it. I always used to sit around playing riffs from this song when micing up cabs for testing recording tones and always thought about making a full remix, after my poor old 5150 died a while back I was fiddling with my Sansamp PSA-1 a lot to try and get some neat industrial tones, and again ended up riffing this thing out, as it always stuck in my head from my endless years of playing Quake II so I decided to make a complete arrangement for once. I always wanted to drop the tuning of this song a bit and make a more aggressive, more metal version of the original. I probably started and never finished various versions of this track at least 5 or 6 times over the years, and I'm pretty happy with this one, hope you enjoy it!

Production wise, drums were played on my electric kit via MIDI into a drum sampler, guitars and bass done through the PSA-1, synths were programmed in Reason via rewire, all was edited, mixed, mastered, etc. in Cubase.

Here's a link to the track which I've titled Stroggification

And my contact details/submission info:

Contact Information

Potshot

Sam Allen

scallen@tpg.com.au

no website

userid 2583

Submission Information

Quake II

Quad Machine

Composer : Sonic Mayhem, System : PC

---------------------------------------------

This is definitely a loud mix. My ears get pretty tired after a couple of listens. It works for the style, although I think this could come down a bit. Balance is off in some sections, where it's hard to hear anything over the chugging guitars at times.

The arrangement is there, although it starts to get repetitive after a while with the same riff used for much of the track. I think it could stand for some more interpretation. The ending is also very abrupt; the song just stops.

Good to see you submitting again, hope you look this over and send it back.

NO (resubmit)

Nice and exciting intro -

I think the guitars are a bit too distorted, they are covering up other elements of the track, and it's sounding less powerful and tight than it could.

Drums sound good, and the balance is decent, except for the rhythm guitars being a bit loud, and covering the leads.

THe arrangement is pretty based on that main riff, and it starts to get a little repetitive after awhile, especially since the rhythm guitars are so prominent. The ending is abrupt, but I can see the stylistic choice behind it, and i'm ok with how it ends.

I love the start to this, but I think a slight rebalancing and maybe a little more variation is what's needed to put this over the edge. I encourage you to take a quick look and then resub this. :-)

No, please resubmit

not much to add, this ain't a bad mix. i'm generally digging the tone of this track but the rhthym guitars are definitely dominating the mix a bit. the arrangement is pretty conservative, there's not a lot of real melodic content and that causes it to get a bit repetitive imo; nature of the source, but some more original melodies and variation would really help out here. I'm fine with the ending, I have ended songs the exact same way. :nicework:

just a lil' rough around the production edges and a bit straightforward with the arrangement, but there's good potential here.

NO(resub)