Quick Cubse/ VST/ MIDI question

Sal

I've started using Cubase 5 (point something) and what i'm trying to do (and what I used to do) is import a midi, open a VST and assign the MIDI tracks to the VST instrument without having to keep opening the same VST window over and over.

Bit of a bugger to explain so bear with me.

I'm using Edirol Orchestral (or whatever), which allows for 16 channels. I import a MIDI file and want to assign the MIDI channels to the VST. With me so far? Good.

In Cubases of old (can't remember which version it was), there was a little channel box on the left hand side which let you do the aforementioned assigning MIDI tracks to the VST.

Now though, that box seems to have disappeared so to do what I want to, I have to open the VST several times over*

*The VST is loaded once but the Edirol Orchestral panel opens every time I want to assign a channel. Basically, I just want one Orchestral panel open. Please don't say it can't be done 'cause I know it can.

Ta

Hey dude happy to let you know there is an easy solution to use the functionality you are used too. :)

Press f11 to open a familiar box. ;) This is the old familiar VST instruments rack. Here you can load the instance of Edirol.

Then create a midi track in the arrange page. Have that midi track point to Edirol in the normal way.

Hopefully that is what you are looking for. :)

Thanks for the reply but that's not the problem.

The problem is that I keep have to opening the Orchestral panel for each MIDI track. Orchestral loads just the once but say I have 3 tracks: piano, strings brass. In days gone by, I could open just one Orchestral panel and say have instrument 1 = piano, instrument 2 = strings etc. All in the one orchestral panel instead of three (or however many.)

Sorry for the lack of clarity, it's not the easiest thing to describe.

Thanks for the reply but that's not the problem.

The problem is that I keep have to opening the Orchestral panel for each MIDI track. Orchestral loads just the once but say I have 3 tracks: piano, strings brass. In days gone by, I could open just one Orchestral panel and say have instrument 1 = piano, instrument 2 = strings etc. All in the one orchestral panel instead of three (or however many.)

Sorry for the lack of clarity, it's not the easiest thing to describe.

Cubase should have MIDI tracks where you can assign their MIDI channel and not have to load anything. That way they send MIDI data to the proper MIDI input port which your VST reads and outputs sound.

I only have Cubase 4 LE, but it should look like this:

EDIT: Never mind, I missed your first post details. :/

I'm not sure what you're doing. If you actually have one instance of the VST loaded, then Cubase might popup the Edirol window every time you assign a MIDI track to it (though that would be odd behaviour and I don't think I've seen that happen), but you can't initialize and create a VST instance from the track inspector on a MIDI track; the only choices you have for output destinations are the MIDI ports and VSTs that are *already loaded* on your system.

You really aren't describing it well, but either you're loading the same plugin once per track or you've loaded the plugin once but its window pops up for each track you assign to it. The former seems likely. I do know that unless there's a bug in your plugin, you won't have three identical windows open for the same instance of a single plugin, so if you do have multiple windows open *at the same time*, it means you're creating multiple plugin instances.

I wonder if you aren't trying to create instrument tracks instead of MIDI tracks.

I only have Cubase 4 LE, but it should look like this:

Yep, that's the bugger i'm looking for.

I'm not sure what you're doing. If you actually have one instance of the VST loaded, then Cubase might popup the Edirol window every time you assign a MIDI track to it (though that would be odd behaviour and I don't think I've seen that happen)

That's what's happening.

I am using Win 7 64 bit. I did try an older version of Cubase but it wouldn't run.

Thanks for the replies.