MIDI recording issue

I'm working on a project now where I'm having a MIDI recording issue.

My setup is like this: I'm using my electronic piano to record my performance into FL Studio while playing back the other tracks I've already laid down. I have the VST I want selected and I can hear its sound when I press keys on the keyboard.

I've recorded MIDI like this several times before on other projects but I'm having a strange issue (or two) with this one. The problem is, say arbitrarily, the phrase starts on measure 60. I start the playback around 56 or so to give me some time before I come in. I want to start playing at 59, leading in to the keyboard section. Half the time, as soon as I get to the downbeat of measure 60, playback stops. It just plain stops and I look at what was recorded in the previous measure and it's only a few of the notes I had played there, and it's those 3 or 4 notes recorded multiple times.

The rest of the time everything works fine except for that first measure. That entire 1st measure that I play isn't recorded, and in its place, the start of measure 60 has several notes on the first beat when I'm only playing 1. Why isn't it recording properly?

The VST I'm using is Triangle II, if that matters. I've never had a problem with this before.

But I've been having FL problems lately. All projects I tried to load would just hang partway through loading until I restarted the program and switched to something other than my soundcard's driver before loading, which is odd because that's the only driver I ever used before I got my USB audio interface. And the most recent save of this current project didn't have everything I'd done in it and I found my most recent changes in one of the files in the back-up folder, somehow.

I'm working on a project now where I'm having a MIDI recording issue.

My setup is like this: I'm using my electronic piano to record my performance into FL Studio while playing back the other tracks I've already laid down. I have the VST I want selected and I can hear its sound when I press keys on the keyboard.

I've recorded MIDI like this several times before on other projects but I'm having a strange issue (or two) with this one. The problem is, say arbitrarily, the phrase starts on measure 60. I start the playback around 56 or so to give me some time before I come in. I want to start playing at 59, leading in to the keyboard section. Half the time, as soon as I get to the downbeat of measure 60, playback stops. It just plain stops and I look at what was recorded in the previous measure and it's only a few of the notes I had played there, and it's those 3 or 4 notes recorded multiple times.

The rest of the time everything works fine except for that first measure. That entire 1st measure that I play isn't recorded, and in its place, the start of measure 60 has several notes on the first beat when I'm only playing 1. Why isn't it recording properly?

The VST I'm using is Triangle II, if that matters. I've never had a problem with this before.

But I've been having FL problems lately. All projects I tried to load would just hang partway through loading until I restarted the program and switched to something other than my soundcard's driver before loading, which is odd because that's the only driver I ever used before I got my USB audio interface. And the most recent save of this current project didn't have everything I'd done in it and I found my most recent changes in one of the files in the back-up folder, somehow.

That's FL Studio auto save! :D

Are you recording in "song" or "pattern" mode? Make sure it's song.

Yeah, but what I thought was odd about it is that the backup file was much more recent than my most recent save. I opened the project and half my drum and bass guitar parts were missing. I scrambled to the backup folder and found one that had my stuff in it.

Do you mean that it autosaved and then later on I closed FL (or it crashed) before I did a normal save? I hadn't thought about that, actually!

I tried the recording several more times and it finally worked. For some reason, setting the start point for playback closer to the beginning of the song is what did it. I was in song mode the whole time for sure, though, so I don't know what was actually causing the problem.