car audio

• 2 months later...
as i said, i want to replace the head unit, and replace the in-door speakers. i'm wondering about the feasibility and cost of putting in an amp and sub as well, and the sound quality i'll get from the in-door speakers themselves (to determine if it'll be necessary for the sub or not).

Depends on exactly what you're looking for in terms of sound quality. You can get away with a decent system for around $400-$500, or you can go all out crazy and go into the thousands.

Here is the setup I had for my Maxima for example:

Kenwood KDC-MP145 deck. A relatively cheap one.

Pioneer 6 1/2 component speakers (with the tweeters separate from the mid range) in my front door panels. Tweeters mounted on each side of the dash.

Kenwood 6 1/2 speakers (mid-low range) in the rear windows.

2 Kenwood 12" 600W subs in the trunk. They were the weakest ones I could find, yet I still thought they were too loud. LOL.

The sound quality was sick, and it only cost me a total of about $600 (including labor) to put it all together.

I just wanted good highs and mids, decent lows, and a little bit of subs. You just gotta know exactly what you want and where you can find the right parts. Also, if you want subs, you have to know what type of box will give you the best sound quality without killing your subs.

The door speakers will not be that bad on you wallet, but if you go into subs and amps, the price can go up pretty fast.

i figured it out. bought a sony head unit for 60% off with all the mounting hardware, a 12" 275w RMS sub with enclosure, wiring kit, quick-swap plug, and a decent amp for around 300$ total.

eventually i'll upgrade the door speakers, but not yet. only one side of the car had to be rewired for door speakers to work, so i'd prefer to not do that again if i can avoid it. i think i can use the in-door wiring for the passenger side, but not sure.