Earthbound -- Home Again... Again

ectogemia

remix is here

Ouch... few things stab my nostalgia spot harder than Earthbound.

I was screwing with FreeAlpha, and I made Earthbound's LEVEL UP!! instrument... then I decided I'd make a ton more Earthbound instruments.. then I decided to make a remix medley. Since I'm kind of a mixing newb, I thought this would be a good opportunity to practice my arranging, transcribing, and synthesis skills.

The mp3 begins with the level-up song which will be a fadeout ending once the song is finished, but for now, I have it at the front of my project file for no particular reason at all, so pay it no mind. Unless you really like the level-up music.

I'd really like your feedback on how I did reproducing the Earthbound sounds and how my arranging is. Anything else is appreciated, too!

So far, I've packed parts from 12 different Earthbound songs into this medley with a few more in the pipeline. See if you can collect 'em all!

It's not too flashy, but I hope it gets your nostalgia going like it does mine :-D

... and if you're not too busy, please listen to and comment on my much higher-fi and first-ever mix recently posted here: http://ocremix.org/forums/showthread.php?t=35177.

Thanks!

I can't really say that anything in this ReMix stands out. But maybe that's the point. It seems great for some easy listening when you're stressed out. Also I'm unfortunately not familiar with Earthbound, so no nostalgia factor for me :/ Not your fault though lol. Needs to be finalized obviously, bu that can definitely be done :)

AND YOU'RE SAYING 22 IS OLD?!?! Hah, man, I never realized a 5-year age difference really meant that much in terms of what consoles you grew up with. I pity the fool :(

I'm more of a NES guy than anything, anyway... man, that does make me feel old.

And to think of a 64 as a "weekend console" cuts me deep. Me and my friend logged something like 45 DAYS on Super Smash Brothers when we were kids. I'll give you several moments to fathom that.

You seem like you're in a feedbacky kind of mood! Feeling smooth?

lol 22 is not old. That's not at all what I was trying to say XD However, yeah, I don't know what to say :P Pc to Ps2... then Xbox360, to gamecube, then wii. in that order :) Lots of games I've missed out on I know lol. And well, I just don't have the time I used to to play games any more. I'm lucky if I get an hour a week of halo ;p

There's your problem! You're wanting to play Halo and not Super Mario 3! Start rocking the NES, and you won't mind ignoring your "obligations" (also known as "optional arrangements") to see how fast you can speedrun World 8. These are the things that destroyed my college GPA during my senior year, but I gained more useful skills beating the World 8 gunships over and over than I did going to class. My thumbs are golden.

I burned myself out on guitar :( I played metal about 6 hours a day for several months. My chops went through the roof, but man... I get joint pain just smelling a guitar these days.

I can't even tell you how much I regret that I didn't do a music program. My biology coursework was cool for all of three semesters, then the rest of college was just this weak internal "debate" if such a one-sided self-dialog could be called that where I'd stand at my apartment door and stare at my NES trying to decide if physiology or Jimmy and Bimmy were more important. Seconds later, I'd be kicking ass, and it wasn't in a lecture hall. Most of what I got out of my degree was loose bits of Latin so I could construct pretentious names for things... hence "Ectogemia". Yay!

Yeah, I started off trying for a double-dec (in quebec our post-highschool studies are different than basically the rest of the world) in Music and Sciences and Technology. But failing science courses like Chem and Math was not fun, and I knew that the music program was where I belonged though.

And man, with that kind of practice, you must be quite amazing if you took the time to get back into it.