*NO* Mega Man 8 'Deceptive Paradise'

OceansAndrew

Hi,

my name is Bruno Vouillemy and my artist name 'Metalltool'

E-mail adress: brunovouillemy@yahoo.de (alternative: psychoo2k4@hotmail.com)

No existing website (well my youtube channel)

userid: 44823

Game: Megaman 8

System: Sega Saturn/ PS1

Track: Opening Stage

Remix name: Deceptive Paradise

Original composer: Shusaku Uchiyama

History:

I have fond memories of Megaman 8 and always loved the soundtrack.

I bought this game on a rainy saturday in winter of 1998.

This track stuck in my head a long time, so I decided to make a remix.

I didn't really know how to 're'-name it at first, so I thought about it: it looks like a

paradisical island, but it is filled with enemies and you even meet Dr. Wily

at the end of the stage, hence the title: Deceptive Paradise.

I tried to keep the electronic elements as foundation of the remix.

Although I love Rock, I was looking for a pop/electronic kind of sound with

a 80's lead guitar sound and synths.

Composition wise I did not change too much keeping the original loop of

the tune and mixing it with an original intro, interlude and outro.

Ps: i already posted the song on youtube on my own channel so i don't know if that's a problem.

my best regards

Bruno V.

Original version: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BZjy_1PIIcE

Interesting mixed meter to start out the intro, and though I wasn't completely feeling the balance of things at first, the really nice phrasing on the guitar playing soothed my ire. ;-)

The sections where the synth takes the lead weren't quite as nuanced, and felt a lot more stiff, i think some mod wheel to add some vibrato would have helped immensely there, and some additional humanization would have been good too.

The sound balance needs a bit of remixing too. I think the guitar could come up a small margin, and the bass should have some of the high end EQ'ed down, it feels a little too clicky. The backing synths also feel pretty loud, so maybe bring them down slightly as well.

The arrangement plays it pretty safe in some ways, but has several personal flourishes. I do think that once it gets going, a little more expansion would be nice.

Overall this is close, but needs a little more polish for me to be comfortable passing. I hope to hear an updated version soon! :-)

No, please resubmit

OA gave some great production advice to address the issues about the balance and sounds themselves, so there's little I can add to that. He also mentioned the arrangement itself, which (as you said) is pretty conservative with some original sections thrown in. I think you can do more to incorporate your original writing (which works very well with the source) together with the themes and get a good result.

I'd like to see this one again.

NO (resubmit)

I pretty much agree with the others here, and OA's judgement was spot-on. nice interplay between the source/original writing, but I agree there's some room for more interpretation on the source melodies. arrangement aside, some additional polish on the mixing/balance could take this to the level it needs to be. please take another look at this one and resubmit!

NO(resub)