*NO* Wonder Boy in Monster Land 'Welcome to Monster Land'

DragonAvenger

Hello,

I would like to submit my orchestral arrangement of music from the Sega Master System version of Wonderboy In Monster Land. It's a medley of the Main Theme, Boss and Round Complete tunes - basically what one would hear on a playthrough of the entire first round of the game, including some brief sound effect samples. The original composer is Shinichi Sakamoto.

My arrangement is titled "Welcome To Monster Land".

My ReMixer name is gregglesaurus

Email address: gregglesaurus@gmail.com

Comments: Wonderboy In Monster Land is one of my most favourite and best remembered games from the SMS, and one of the main factors of this is because of the delightful, happy music contained within. I sometimes like to play the game, just to hear the music. I believe music and sound are vital elements as to the success of a video game as a whole.

I created this using GarageBand, and then switching to Logic Pro, using the GarageBand Orchestra JamPack sounds. After finally completing it, I was going to post a link to it onsmspower.com, but discovered they had just announced their "annual" music competition, so submitted it in the competition. It won first place, which I'm very happy about. :) I hope you enjoy it, and that it provides a valued contribution and enjoyable experience for video game music lovers everywhere.

Kind regards,

Greg Baker

----------------

- all I could find

Nice and pleasant orchestral work here, with a nice theme and a pretty lively rhythm.

The string attack seemed slow in a lot of areas, and some of the articulations were a bit stiff, but the varied arrangement really made it exciting.

The section where the oboe had the lead seemed like it was slightly buried under the percussion, brass, and strings.

The section after it had a strange transition, but Other than a huge crescendo leading up to it, im not sure how to best handle it.

Overall I think the arrangement is excellent here, it just needs some production tweaks. See if you can sharpen the attack on the strings at all so they sound a little more forceful, and when the woodwinds are present, make sure they are audible. Otherwise this is pretty sweet.

No, please resubmit

I think you did a really cool job working this into an orchestral setting, but as Andrew mentioned, some of the production aspects are holding this back. I'd like you to polish up the balance between the instruments a little more, and make sure the all the parts are heard clearly. Personally I'm not a fan of the sound effects at the end, but I'm ok with it as an artistic choice. Wouldn't be sad to see them go, either. :)

NO (resubmit)

• 1 month later...

I agree with the others. put a little more work into those articulations and velocities. this is a neat arrangement, and the samples themeselves are fine, it just needs to blend and flow more naturally. the sound effects seemed very random. I won't hold them against you, but they're too loud. caught me off guard, there. :P

NO(resub)