OCR02375 - *YES* Super Castlevania 4 'Deforestation'

DragonAvenger

Hi,

I always wanted to cover a title from this game because it completely blew my mind when it came out in '91. I think the soundtrack was original and atmospheric, the composers had a lot more freedom than usual while writing this and it showed. Ranging from classical to jazzy, it conveyed a level of maturity to the whole game and in my opinion, blended perfectly with the mood of the serie.

I decided to choose this one because it was overlooked by many and it had a dual quality which I liked. It felt like there was 2 part to this one.. a creepy and spooky first half and a more epic and engaging theme when the main melody kicks in.

So after playing Lord of shadows, I was inspired to give this one a symphonic treatement. I used a lot of East/West stuff and a few others to give it more of an orchestral vibe. The only thing I regret with this approach is that I had to get rid of the awesome bassline of the original, it just didn't work with this.

I know I emphasized a bit on the 'hero theme' for the better part of the arrangement (climax, ending segment). For some reason, I was always drawn back to it. I guess I liked the melody. :)

Anyways, thanks for taking the time to review it, and I hope you guys will like it.

Cheers!

ReMixer name : Thunder Thouin

website : http://www.youtube.com/user/ThunderThouin?feature=mhum

userid : N/A

Name of game(s) arranged : Super Castlevania 4

Name of individual song(s) arranged : Forest of Monsters

Link to the original song :

Who would have thought that removing that bass line would make it so hard for me to wrap my head around the arrangement. :o

After a lot of listens, I figured it out eventually, and i've come to the conclusion that this is a pretty great arrangement. Some of the brass is a little stiff, but the atmosphere is excellent, and the vocal stuff is a nice touch.

I dig it. :-)

Yes

• 2 weeks later...

arrangement is pretty tight here. I didn't have much trouble placing the source once the staccato strings came in. I thought the balance was a little off, all the melodic stuff seemed pretty backseated to the long, low string/cello notes. otherwise I thought this was beautifully produced, with a lot of great dynamic variation throughout the piece.

YES

• 3 weeks later...

I agree with halc that the balance was a little off, in favor of the low notes instead of the melody, but I also agree with him that this was a great arrangement and made good use of the full range of the orchestra. Loved the section starting at 2:19 where the flute gave this a suddenly buoyant tone. Not much to say, this was classy and well-done, and an underremixed source from the game, no less.

YES