Koori Rein

I have to admit, I HATE general MIDI kind of synths, but I LOVE just about all other retro sounds. Something about the GM voices is just so damn corny... but I digress.

Drums need to be put through the processing ringer something fierce. The snare volume changes without warning or musical purpose. Your fills in part A are pretty weak, but are much better in part B.

The main synth does a weird detuning thing that I can't really explain or enjoy :P.

Your harmonies in the beginning on the bass synth are pretty ambiguous, all fourths and fifths. Try changing those a bit to some intervals that are a little more evocative.

The part B about halfway through is actually very, very cool, but the transition into it is weak.

Why are you so committed to using these synth sounds? It's your choice, obviously, but you've got so many other options that are much more dynamic and would command more of your creativity to use well. Why not take advantage of those?

I have to admit, I HATE general MIDI kind of synths, but I LOVE just about all other retro sounds. Something about the GM voices is just so damn corny... but I digress.

Drums need to be put through the processing ringer something fierce. The snare volume changes without warning or musical purpose. Your fills in part A are pretty weak, but are much better in part B.

The main synth does a weird detuning thing that I can't really explain or enjoy :P.

Your harmonies in the beginning on the bass synth are pretty ambiguous, all fourths and fifths. Try changing those a bit to some intervals that are a little more evocative.

The part B about halfway through is actually very, very cool, but the transition into it is weak.

Why are you so committed to using these synth sounds? It's your choice, obviously, but you've got so many other options that are much more dynamic and would command more of your creativity to use well. Why not take advantage of those?

I can't help it, I just LOVE those corny filli-ins...

I think due to my EQ or some FL weirdness that I don't fully understand yet which is either no fault of my own or entirely my fault, that the song changes volume on it's own during parts. After all, I'm not too confident in FL, the song I showed you was recorded in Audacity, since FL couldn't even export the song without certain drum parts going quiet for several seconds, through no fault of my own.

The synth distortion sounds slightly crappy on my stereo, but on my headphones...well it sounds nothing short of spectacular. And these are one dollar, dollar store headphones, mind you.

The intro harmonies are supposed to have that futuristic, ambient, cool fifths feel, its not supposed to be evocative, its supposed to set a tone for the piece.

What should I change in the transition?

I like the synth sounds, but mostly it's because they are so recognizable and easy to work with. I've practically memorized every sound...when I am working with other sounds I have no idea how the sounds should be used or if they will mesh well together...also, I don't like to pirate things because of viruses...also i've never really found a library that I've liked, where I hear it and think "that fits my personality or vision." Nexus is on my to-do list but I am wary of pirating things.

anyway thanks for the help.