*NO* Legend of Zelda 'Power of Three'

OceansAndrew

ReMixer Name: Anachromy

email address: pcahill@meetcrg.com

User ID: 45483 (I just created an account today)

Games arranged: Legend of Zelda + Ocarina of Time

Name of Arrangement: Power of Three

Name of Original songs arranged: Overworld, Sarias Song.

Comments:

Basically, this is my first attempt at submitting to OC ReMix, I've been one of those people to listen to the amazing work that this community produces for a long time... And finally built up the nerve to submit a project of my own. I feel the piece speaks for itself, so I won't go into too much detail trying to describe it. Regardless of this songs approval or not, I plan on being active within the community from this point. Thanks for your time, and consideration.

The timing on that beat is hilarious. I'm not sure they totally fit with what you've got. I understand in this type of music people like loose beats but they just sound a bit like awkward loops to me.

Interesting take on the overworld theme. I'm hearing quite a lot of pattern repetition which is a little annoying. Lines and rhythms being used several times in places they don't quite work. The levels are a little off also in places. Piano comes in very loudly both times. Strings are quite dry. I like the way Saria's theme was used. Nice harmony there.

Everything after Saria's theme is basically improvising with the chords though, and that's nearly half the track. You can definitely work a lot more of the themes into this imo.

I can't really think of one big reason to reject this but there are definitely a lot of small things that add up that are holding this back. You say you want to hang around the community more so definitely keep working on this. This is very strong for a first submission. Way better then mine was! Best of luck!

NO, resub plz

Yeah, it sounds like two loops are layered on top of each other, which is causing mismatched timing and clutter. As mentioned, piano is pretty loud & full, taking more than it's fair share.

There are some big balance issues, for example from :37 - :47 everything is pretty loud, which is causing ducking and some distortion. Another example is 1:16 where the lead oboe is being relegated to the background because the beats, formant synth, and other elements are quite a bit louder. Piano near the end was very loud on top of everything else going on. I'd recommend you concentrate on getting important elements up front (melody parts for sure), and letting other parts sit back further in supporting roles. Not everything has to be heard loud and upfront.

On a positive note, there are some cool elements and nice sounds used. I liked your choice of synths here and the drums, while repetative (likely loops), had good tone and a decent groove.

Arrangement side, I liked how you handled the intermingling of the zelda theme in the first third of the track. The slowing down of the beginning of Saria's song was a good idea, but it only seemed to touch the very beginning of the melody and then trail off. We'd need to see some more substantial use of the original tracks for them to be considered a dominant part of this arrangement.

I think this song would need quite a bit of work to get over the bar, both in terms of production and arrangement. You've shown you understand the basics and have potential to be a very good remixer, so don't get discouraged by any means.

No, resubmit please

yeah, the isolated loop in the intro was okay, but when the second layered in, the rhythms feel a bit awkward. liked the weird hand drum bit in the middle though. very cool approach to the arrangement, never would have imagined the classic Zelda theme done in this style. I do wish you would have used the rest of the Saria's song melody as opposed to the first three notes, but I thought it was a great idea.

source usage seemed okay.. it brushes the 50% mark but is pretty obvious to me until after the Saria's song bit. I'd feel much more comfortable with it if you could revisit it a little more overtly before the end.

production-wise, I thought it wasn't too bad, there wasn't any single dealbreaking factor, but there are some smaller issues that add up. the balance could use some tweaking as the others mentioned. piano is a bit loud, the drums seemed to shift volumes randomly at times. I don't think this is too far below the bar, but I agree that it needs a little more work on both sides of the arrangement/production fence. hope to hear from you again!

NO(resub)