My Doom - The Demon's Dead remix

Oh, and morons who are only attacking my mix just because I'm arguing with the almighty judges.

Hm.. Dude.. It seems that you don't read what ppl says.

..almighty judges.

Ha-ha

..how rude you guys are being with your criticism

Most stupid thing I ever heard.

He was having them look into the technicality of why it was NO'd

Agreed!

But..

Just to clarify on one extra point, a vote of 'No Override' doesn't necessarily mean that it was on track to a YES vote. N.O. is when a track is in violation of one of our standards that was missed in the initial overview of the song from the inbox to either the panel, a direct rejection, or a direct post. There have been songs given a N.O. vote that have initially passed the panel, and tracks that would have been voted NO anyways.

And then..

Fair enough

So? What does it mean?

First, DragonAvenger wasn't saying it was voted NO, he was just saying it hadn't necessarily been voted YES yet. And to that I replied "fair enough"

I DID read what you wrote but most of that was just your opinion. The "muddiness" you complained about is exactly how I wanted it to sound at the end and I didn't want reverb on drums on the intro. You told me to pan the guitars left and right which they already are.

Its so easy to spout off "oh you just need some EQ and compression, and balancing" but once again...specifics? There is plenty of EQ and compression where needed. And balancing....?

Where are your remixes, genius?

First, DragonAvenger is SHE)

As for specifics. Opinion? Agreed. But I heard only "effected" rhythm panned. If you don't want reverb on drums, good, but then find better samples or mess with attack,sustain,compressor or dist. Cause drums sounds like cheaptune. I told you, I can't listen to your mix again. Soundclous is not for my browser.

My remix

http://ocremix.org/forums/showthread.php?t=35750

Just a bit of EQ'ing, correct balancing and compression. Still has some issues, which I'll fix before sub. And still it takes NO, i suppose. Because of source usage.

Man, I'm sorry that i've touched your pride, but this mix still far from YES.

If you don't want reverb on drums, good, but then find better samples or mess with attack,sustain,compressor or dist. Cause drums sounds like cheaptune.

Haha sorry but I can't take advice on drums from someone who uses a garbage can as a snare drum in their song. Thats what it is...right?

I gotta agree that this mix needs quite a bit of work. I'll try to be specific here...

The nice atmospheric intro is not a bad idea at all, but right away it becomes apparent that the samples are a bit lo-fi. I'm not sure that it's a deal breaker just yet because in general I do like the sound of it.

There are issues beside the sample quality, however. It sounds like this whole section is largely shoved into the midrange. I can't hear much in the highs really at all, almost like there is a lowpass filter over the whole section. This has a tendency to make things sound cheap and dead.

It also may be a problem that it lasts so long. That whole section clocks in at over a minute, which isn't unheard of for this kind of track, but it does feel like it's dragging after a little while.

At about 1:06 the bass comes in playing that familiar melody... There is a definitely audible static sound going on here in the bass recording. Sometimes this can make things sound grungy in a good way, but here I think it just makes it sound lo-fi. The drums sound ok right off the bat, but the kick seems a little cheap especially around 1:34 where it becomes clear that it doesn't have velocity layering or round robin sampling. (correct me if I'm wrong)

Now the most important part. at 1:45 the metal guitars come in, and simply put: they are underwhelming. You said that you panned the guitars, but I'm almost certain there is no proper panned double tracking going on here. The bass becomes an issue here as well, because it doesn't have the desired effect of fattening up the guitars and it seems to only contribute to the mud. This is not just a matter of opinion. It is simply the case that the sound you have here just can't compare to a well produced metal or hard rock track.

You don't have to take my word for it. Listen to this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i3fZd5qZje0

Compared to this track, yours just seriously lacks power and punch.

I'm not trying to be a dick. You should hear some of my earlier tracks. I had exactly the same problem. You just need to work at it.

Moving on... I like the sound at 1:54, but i think it should be pushed back with some reverb or a lower level or something because it doesn't sit well in the mix as is.

at 2:15, this sound here is very cool. I definitely like this.

I'm noticing that the drum sequencing is pretty decent overall, it's just that the relatively low quality samples bring down the power a bit.

2:26 The switch to halftime here is a good way to keep the repetitive source interesting. This whole section in general sounds pretty decent and is a pretty good idea I think. It just has the aforementioned production issues on the guitar track.

The effect at 3:32 is pretty cool, but I think the switch is way too abrupt. Maybe do something with the drums to lead into it? At 3:42 the guitar comes to lead into the next section and it's really not a bad idea at all. It just sounds lo-fi. There's something about the way that little lead is recorded that makes it sound bad. The recording just seems a bit too dark and muddy.

The section at 3:42 is a good idea on paper. I love really aggressive sounding industrial rock, but it's really very difficult to execute. I think you did a pretty decent job, though. 0:34 on this NIN track as a superb example of muddy nastiness executed well:

I think the main issue with this part on your track is that the combined low quality of all the samples and recordings makes it sound a bit weaker than it should.

The strings that come in at 4:22 sound a little bit unrealistic, but I do like when the reversed samples come in and finally add some interesting harmony to this fairly uninteresting source tune.

Which leads me to my next point. I think this source is a bit boring. It's just a single melodic line doubled with perfect unisons on all the instruments, but you did a pretty good breaking the monotony with effects and timing change ups so it's probably ok on that front.

i agree with you that the source is different enough from the black sabbath track to warrant a remix. The line in the black sabbath track starts out the same but then it goes completely different, so I see your point there...

Anyway, this track isn't too bad IMO. What it really needs are some serious production revisions. A great starting point would be to properly double track the guitars. I think you'll be surprised at how much that alone will improve the sound.

I gotta agree that this mix needs quite a bit of work. I'll try to be specific here...

The nice atmospheric intro is not a bad idea at all, but right away it becomes apparent that the samples are a bit lo-fi. I'm not sure that it's a deal breaker just yet because in general I do like the sound of it.

There are issues beside the sample quality, however. It sounds like this whole section is largely shoved into the midrange. I can't hear much in the highs really at all, almost like there is a lowpass filter over the whole section. This has a tendency to make things sound cheap and dead.

It also may be a problem that it lasts so long. That whole section clocks in at over a minute, which isn't unheard of for this kind of track, but it does feel like it's dragging after a little while.

At about 1:06 the bass comes in playing that familiar melody... There is a definitely audible static sound going on here in the bass recording. Sometimes this can make things sound grungy in a good way, but here I think it just makes it sound lo-fi. The drums sound ok right off the bat, but the kick seems a little cheap especially around 1:34 where it becomes clear that it doesn't have velocity layering or round robin sampling. (correct me if I'm wrong)

Now the most important part. at 1:45 the metal guitars come in, and simply put: they are underwhelming. You said that you panned the guitars, but I'm almost certain there is no proper panned double tracking going on here. The bass becomes an issue here as well, because it doesn't have the desired effect of fattening up the guitars and it seems to only contribute to the mud. This is not just a matter of opinion. It is simply the case that the sound you have here just can't compare to a well produced metal or hard rock track.

You don't have to take my word for it. Listen to this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i3fZd5qZje0

Compared to this track, yours just seriously lacks power and punch.

I'm not trying to be a dick. You should hear some of my earlier tracks. I had exactly the same problem. You just need to work at it.

Moving on... I like the sound at 1:54, but i think it should be pushed back with some reverb or a lower level or something because it doesn't sit well in the mix as is.

at 2:15, this sound here is very cool. I definitely like this.

I'm noticing that the drum sequencing is pretty decent overall, it's just that the relatively low quality samples bring down the power a bit.

2:26 The switch to halftime here is a good way to keep the repetitive source interesting. This whole section in general sounds pretty decent and is a pretty good idea I think. It just has the aforementioned production issues on the guitar track.

The effect at 3:32 is pretty cool, but I think the switch is way too abrupt. Maybe do something with the drums to lead into it? At 3:42 the guitar comes to lead into the next section and it's really not a bad idea at all. It just sounds lo-fi. There's something about the way that little lead is recorded that makes it sound bad. The recording just seems a bit too dark and muddy.

The section at 3:42 is a good idea on paper. I love really aggressive sounding industrial rock, but it's really very difficult to execute. I think you did a pretty decent job, though. 0:34 on this NIN track as a superb example of muddy nastiness executed well:

I think the main issue with this part on your track is that the combined low quality of all the samples and recordings makes it sound a bit weaker than it should.

The strings that come in at 4:22 sound a little bit unrealistic, but I do like when the reversed samples come in and finally add some interesting harmony to this fairly uninteresting source tune.

Which leads me to my next point. I think this source is a bit boring. It's just a single melodic line doubled with perfect unisons on all the instruments, but you did a pretty good breaking the monotony with effects and timing change ups so it's probably ok on that front.

i agree with you that the source is different enough from the black sabbath track to warrant a remix. The line in the black sabbath track starts out the same but then it goes completely different, so I see your point there...

Anyway, this track isn't too bad IMO. What it really needs are some serious production revisions. A great starting point would be to properly double track the guitars. I think you'll be surprised at how much that alone will improve the sound.

Now THIS I appreciate. This is an honest, detailed critique.

Thank you!