*NO* Phantasy Star 4 'Hysteria'

DragonAvenger

Remixer Name: Somaru

ID Number: 31817

Game Name: Phantasy Star IV: End of the Millennium

Remix Name: Hysteria

Original Song Name: Laughter

Comments: Well, this is my first submission to OCR. Hope it pans out. Phantasy Star IV is one of my favorite RPGs of all time, despite how easy it was, and the overall length was seemingly lacking in my opinion; what stood out the most was its... Quite oddly arranged soundtrack. Not to mention the generally strange composition. So, I've taken one of my more favorite songs and given it my own Trance treatment, with a minor Gothic feel strewn about. It's a shame that nobody's really delved into PS4's battle themes, mainly sticking to the opening theme. Show some adventure! I'm waiting for Metal versions of Meet them Head on, Laughter (what this song's based on) and Ooze. The riffs are all there. Just gotta exploit them. That being said, I'm outtie. I hope someone enjoys it.

-----------------------

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VFgpWnamW_M

• 4 weeks later...

That snare sounds really dead, and though the soundscape seemed really enclosed and crowded, there was some expanse behind it. The issue was that too many elements were pushed up front, so there was crowding. It's especially apparent in the few spots that the horn comes in, though the main synth and the strings are fighting for space at times too.

The arrangement seems decently expanded from the original, though the ending just stops, which isn't cutting it at all. Adding a proper ending shouldn't be a huge ordeal and would really help the song. Even a slight fade would be better than the abrupt end.

Overall, it's a very nice start, but things need to be given more space. I suggest pushing the synth back a little in the soundscape to give the strings mroe room, and working with reverbs to balance things.

No, please resubmit

agreed with OA's points. the string articulations were also an issue, with the constant attack on every note. the panning on them was also a little strange, and the higher notes were quite shrill to the ears, to the point that I had to take off my headphones. :/

if you can clean up the EQ on the strings and make the sequencing more expressive, this would have a much better chance, but right now the mix is too crowded and off-balance.

NO(resub)

• 4 weeks later...

Not much to add to what the gentlemen have already described. The biggest issue here is that the sounds are all way up front, and it's a big fight for which instrument is foremost. The second big issue is the ending, and further, that the track is repeating almost exactly like a soundtrack would. This just isn't going to work. Definitely something for you (and honestly almost everyone) to work on your ending, making it natural even if it becomes original writing.

The arrangement is a bit straightforward in terms of the melodies, but the instrument changes are nice. I'd look into your string attack as well, as it's noticeably slow at times, which is a bit detracting.

A lot to work on here, honestly, but don't get discouraged. Take what you can to learn from it and improve!

NO