*NO* Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island 'Innocence Capsule'

OceansAndrew

Bztvuy

David Michel Donais

bl00dy_squirrel@hotmail.com

N/A

http://ocremix.org/forums/member.php?u=45719 (awaiting activation atm)

Submission Information

Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island

Innocence Capsule

Yoshi's Island Music Box Intro

Koji Kondo, SNES

So I was trying to learn some Super Mario songs on the piano when I stumbled upon this one. I ended up just listening to the original and it instantly brought me back to my childhood (which is common for me with many Nintendo songs). I immediately started working on a modern version of this wonderful piece. I tried to stay very true to the spirit of the original while still adding to it and I ended up with this. This is my first submission on this website and while I know that this arrangement doesn't vary much from the original, I think it doesn't need to be changed and I was cautious in trying not to break the feeling of the original. Hope you like it.

really heavy on the reverb. definitely need to tone that back.

arrangement is very simplistic and a bit too conservative imo, and also rigidly sequenced. try editing the piano note timing/velocities just a bit to make it sound more realistic.

most of your instruments are in the same frequency range causing it to sound thin but also crowded. taking your pads down an octave would help clear free up the midrange a bit and also cover a little more harmonic ground.

NO

Great source song selection, Very pretty. :-)

I agree with Drew that the reverb is way too strong here, lending a strange character to the song where it doesn't really feel like it is being performed in the same room. The arrangement is pretty and the slightly slowed tempo is a good direction to take it in. The additional pads and light percussive chime elements are a nice way to delicately fill out the arrangement, as anything with a heavier touch would go too far. Nice use of restraint.

I do think that expanding a little further on the source would be welcome, especially in the second half. You do a good job of backing up the main element with the accompaniment, but some additional harmonies would be nice, rather than simply reinforcing the existing ones.

This is pretty close for me, and I really enjoy it, but it needs to have the reverb reduced, and have a little more variety in the second half, harmonically.

No, please resubmit

• 5 weeks later...

I'll be the third to echo that the reverb needs to be toned down. I'll also agree that you could add some overall humanization to make this feel a little less rigid, which would fit the style better as well. Along with that, the overall mix remains pretty close to the source, and I'd love to see you expand more with your own ideas into this. The second half is really nice, and I like where you went with it, I just need more!

NO (resubmit)