ReMixer: Proksi

Name: Daniel Airey

Email: danielairey@windowslive.com

Userid: 45742

Game arranged: Silent Hill 2

Arrangement name: Diseased Letter

Song arranged: Letters

Link to OST:

Comments: Ever since I first played through Silent Hill 2, I've never looked at horror games the same. This was in part no doubt due to the music and general sound design of the game, and this track in particular stood out. I always wanted to hear it again outside of it's use at the very beginning of the game, right after James exits the bathroom. It's such an emotional, touching piece of music, but most of all it's just plain well-written with a solid tune. This is what led me to remix it. I've tried my best to keep at least some of the emotion present in the original, in my mix. I hope you enjoy it!

Dan

• 4 weeks later...

Pretty cool ideas throughout, though the song is based primarily on the original chords, with not much of the main melody. It does make it's appearance, but it's more subdued. I did like the direction and treatment of the track, but it definitely started to get repetitive for the second half.

The production was decent, though some cleaning in the low mids would be an improvement, and I think adjusting the compression to not be as crushing would be nice too.

Overall some good stuff here, but more variation and some slight production tweaks are needed. More prominent melody would be a bonus, as well. :-)

No, please resubmit

• 3 weeks later...

I think Andrew hit all the right points on this one. The track is using a lot of the chords of the original, but I'm hearing very little of the original melody here, and the source gets kind of lost as a result. I think you can use some of the melody points to get a stronger tie in to the original here, and give you more to work with to develop your track.

I do think everything is going loud throughout, and I'd have loved some more variation, both in volume and soundscape. As Andrew mentioned again, the track starts to get repetitive, so a change in melody/chords/volume/instruments is going to give the track more interest overall, and keep the listener focused.

Nice source to use, and you've got a good start, just needs some fine tuning.

NO (resubmit)

• 1 month later...

this is mastered way too loud, causing some noticible distortion, especially in the drums. you'll definitely want to pull that back a bit, and re-level your individual channels to compensate.

the kinda minimalist-electronica approach definitely isn't a bad one, but I agree that the melody could be more prominent in the arrangement, and that the overall track was kinda repetitive. the synths were vanilla sounding too.

NO(resub)