Remixer Name: Darangen

Email: mike@darangen.com

UserID: 8948

URL to Remix:

Game: Killer Instinct

Song: The Instinct

Original Soundtrack:

Comments:

I actually remixed this source about 5 years ago, but was rushed trying to meet a competition deadline and I wasn’t satisfied with the outcome at all. So this has actually been in the making for 5 years, on and off. I finally came back to this source for the June 2011 Dwelling of Duels competition. I’m much happier with this outcome.

The meaning behind the lyrics to this song are that at some time in life we all have to find who we are. For some it’s an easy discovery, for others it may take years upon years. A few years ago I found myself at a crossroads and I had to rediscover who I was in order to move on, and that was the inspiration for this song.

As mentioned above, there are lyrics to this and they are as follows:

Searching

You’re looking from the outside

Yearning for the inside

There’s nothing that you can hide

Exhausted

You’re pushing yourself too hard

You’ve never gone this far

To find out who you really are

Another day

Another way

To see the end your story brings

Try again

To see the end

And open up yet another dream

Hope you enjoy it as much as I did creating it!

-Michael ‘Darangen’ Boyd

• 1 month later...

Things started out nice and chunky, though, some of the piano bass notes don't sound in key at all, and the piano was pretty dry.

The rhythm tone was good and gritty, but the playing didn't feel tight at all. The leads were nice, but rhythmically, the track didnt' feel like it gelled at all.

The vocals felt pretty good, but as far as placement, they seemed a bit buried.

Overall a good arrangement, and vocal and lead execution. What is bringing it down is the tightness of the rhythm section and some weird piano notes at the beginning. THis definitely could make it, but it needs some polish.

No, please resubmit

• 2 weeks later...

I think this is the best application and performance of your vocals I've yet heard, nice job! Definitely hearing a good improvement from you in this. Unfortunately, I'm also noticing that things aren't quite lining up correctly here, and overall the parts need to be tighter. I think if you did that you'd be a good way to really making this song work and be awesome. I also agree about the piano being dry, and those distant bass notes are a little strange.

Hope to see this one again!

NO (resubmit)

love the arrangement. overall production felt a little overcooked; the guitars were extra crunchy, but the vocal and bells were a little buried. gotta agree about the rhythm timing; the first half wasn't bad, but a few sections later on (2:40 being the capper) were really off-beat and awkward to listen too. cool stuff, but it needs a few tweaks to make the frontpage. please continue subbing. I hope to hear this mix again sometime. :)

NO(resub)