DJ EAR

Weston Ahern

djear.info@gmail.com

http://djear.yolasite.com/

Submission Information

Lotus Turbo Challenge 2

Checkpoint ditditdit

Intro / Title Theme

Alright, so I had been working on a ton of new trax for some upcoming mix albums and hit a roadblock (bad joke). For about 2 weeks nothing - just no inspiration what-so-ever aside from some Vectorman related work... Then, Bam! Like outta nowhere - Greatest Idea. Lotus Turbo Challenge 2. I originally had the game on Genesis and used to spend HOURS trying to avoid those darn oil slicks in fear of the dreaded ditditditditdit of the timer counting down to end the game, until barely hitting the next checkpoint and getting another Time Bonus to try and make it to the next one. So! This is just a little Happy UK-Hardcore remix with some nods to the source material (The ever amazing theme for this game that gets in your head and never goes away). Originally intended to include a DJ Intro/Outro but removed them for more of a [Radio Edit] kind of feel. Much Respect to Barry Leitch who would later grace me with the music from Super Cars II. Please to Enjoy! YEEEEEEHAAAAAWWWW!

• 5 weeks later...

Pretty cool arrangement, and has a lot going for it, but some of the synths are a little too loud and piercing; it's a minor issue I think, as the levels aren't completely off, but makes it a little less appealing. I do feel the arrangement runs a little long, and is a bit repetitive, as the second repetition sounds suspiciously like a cut and paste. Some of the breakdowns were a little boring too, like the bass breakdown, and while I think this has promise, it needs to be trimmed a good deal, with some variation added before I'm comfortable passing it.

No, please resubmit

• 2 weeks later...

I like the sense of urgency that you put into this track, it definitely reflects well the feeling of racing to the next checkpoint for those few precious seconds. I'll also say that for the most part the sound effects were used sparingly and fit the track well, so kudos on that as well.

The level of repetition is holding back the track, as is the overall loudness (which to some degree is understandable for the genre, but this is just a it too overpowering for my tastes). I can also agree with OA about the breakdowns not really holding up to the rest of the track.

Trimming this overall and adjusting volumes is going to be a big step, and tweaking the breakdowns as well.

NO (resubmit)

• 3 weeks later...

not a lot to add. I loved the FM/genesis sound this had, but the instruments and melodic parts felt a bit subdued compared to the bass and drums, at least until that trance synth halfway through entered. aside from some balance issues, the production was generally well-executed, and packed a punch.

arrangement wise, I have to agree that the mix gets pretty repetitive, and is pretty conservative to begin with. try weaving some more layers in and out, adding original harmonies or countermelodies and trimming back on some of the repetition or varying things up more.

NO(resub)