OCR02541 - *YES* Donkey Kong Country 3 (SNES) 'Bash the Bastards!'

DragonAvenger

Remixer Names - WillRock, Level 99

Remix Name: Bash The Bastards!

Game: DKC3

Source: Bonus Time -

Remix:

WillRock: This is quite an important and historic remix in many ways for me. To start off with, through this mix I made friends with Emunator (the project director for DKC3) and we are now firm friends. Secondly, this remix is the unholy bastard of my discography of remixes. You see, every now and then, I break out of my 80's butt-rock mold and do something different. In this case, I went with a world music "Lion King" type remix. However, to achieve this, I had to use Kontakt, and I ended up using REAPER as my DAW as a result. This was a drastic change to my workflow, and everything that could possibly go wrong went wrong. Deleting the project file? Sure. Screwing up the tempo and thus my whole project because reaper sucks - uh-huh. Deleting tracks by accident? Why not. Not to mention all the stuff that happened which wasn't even me, such as one day opening REAPER to have all my instances of Kontakt empty. And thanks to my computer not being able to handle this project, it took me over a year to finish it. tl;dr - RAWWWWWR.

Anyway, on to the good points. Stevo Bortz, the single most awesome person in existence, basically went WAY beyond the call of duty when I asked him to collab on this. I asked him after I heard vocals on his track "Twin Seeds flyby", and thought his vocals were perfect for the style I was going for. However, he not only did that but did some fantastic backing vocals which really added to the character of this mix. He even went on to do his own language of singing when I asked him if he could do vocal parts like Karl Jenkins "Adiemus", which is probably the high point of working on this remix. Finally, he recorded acoustic guitar to replace my seqeunced guitars, which gave the track a very humanistic feel. Sure the remix was my idea, but Stevo took the concept and really made it shine in a way I could have never achieved without him, and I was simply dumbfounded by how awesome his additions were. As a result, I feel like this is probably the most rewarding of all my collabs and remixes in general, but getting there was one of the hardest things i've ever had to endure as a musician. Emu, you'd better appreciate this you limey noob :P

Finally, the name. Basically, I went around looking for name inspirations for this remix, and found a youtube video of the bonus stage in DKC3. However, I didn't realise it was a hacked version I was watching and thus, the words "Bash The Bastards!" (actually called "Bash The Baddies" in the game) came on the screen as the title of the bonus round, which made me howl with laughter. You joojz might not dig that title but I do, and screw you guys if you can't take a joke :D

Anyways, thats my thoughts on this. Hope you guys like it :)

Level 99: Willrock came to me asking me to give some small high-pitched vocals to his mix, similar to what I had done for Twin Seeds Flyby. After hearing his song, which is such a major departure from his familiar synthrock roots, I was inspired to do more. Much more. A whole slew of vocals and inventing a language more! I also added a bit of acoustic guitar to replace the samples he was using, just adding more to the human element of the song. I can say that this is probably the most amount of vocals I've done for a single track thus far, and I'm very happy with the result.

• 3 weeks later...

I like the mixing for the most part. everything sounds clear and crisp. My main problem is the acoustic guitar. I think you ought to compress it more, cause currently it sounds a bit plucky and weak. It's not a dealbreaker by any means. I like the vocals.

My main complaint is that the arrangement is pretty static. Not a whole lot going on dynamically, and it's not really holding my attention.

Borderline

YES

• 4 weeks later...