*NO* F-Zero 'Metropolitan Silence'

DragonAvenger

Hi,

here's the link to my first remix submission called "Metropolitan Silence":

Contact Information:

ReMixer name: Matoshi

Real name: Borna Matosic (Borna is a Croatian male name, in case you're wondering ;) )

Email address: borna@twilighttrain.de

Userid: 46837

Submission Information:

Name of game(s) arranged: F-Zero (SNES version)

Name of arrangement: Metropolitan Silence

Name of individual song(s) arranged: Mute City

Your own comments about the mix, for example the inspiration behind it, how it was made, etc.:

I fell in love with the F-Zero melodies at an early age while playing the game on the SNES. Many years later one day I picked up my guitar and wondered how those old melodies would sound if I recorded myself playing them. So I decided to do a remix of "Mute City", my favourite F-Zero tune!

Out of respect for the source material, I kept the basics of the song close to the original. I programmed drums and bass and used VST instruments to play the parts. Then I used my effects processor (PodXTLive by Line6) to record myself playing the rhythm guitars, the main lead guitar and two more harmony lead guitars directly to PC. Finally, my Roland Juno-Di Synthesizer got its fair share of action. I plugged it into the Pod to record some synth lead harmonies for the epic intro and a groovy keyboard solo (my first keyboard solo ever! ;) ) for the break in the middle of the song - which is my main original contribution within this remix.

When it comes to the actual mixing, I'm pretty much still a n00b. This is actually the first mix I've ever done that turned out cool, at least to my ears! ;)

Hope you guys like it!

Matoshi / Borna Matosic

-----------------------

• 4 weeks later...

The bass is pretty quiet, and things started out sounding a little thin and constrained. It felt better once the lead came in, but still a lot of the track lacked the power needed to truly rock out. The guitar playing was solid had some good feeling behind it. Synth solo right away was a strange choice, but it was well done, and the guitar double/harmonizing with some parts was fun. Why is the section so sparse though? It really feels that it could have some stuff supporting it. The ending was abrupt too.

You definitely can take this a little further beyond adding a solo section; play with the melodies a little bit, or add some new harmonies. You sound like a pretty talented guitarist, so you've got one pillar of remixing down already, you just need to beef up your production sound, and create a more expansive arrangement. I'd love to hear a revision of this after you've fixed it up a bit. :-)

No, please resubmit

• 4 weeks later...

Andrew's right, you've got some good playing ability, it's mostly the production and arrangement that's holding you back. You said you kept it close to the source, and if you want to go for a cover, that's fine, but it's not going to be OCR worthy as such. Look to add more of your own flair to the arrangement. The synth solo was a start (agreed that it's a little strange coming in out of nowhere and running off after as well), but the solo notes were fine itself.

Andrew hit the production aspects well; the bass overall is a little lacking, and the lead guitar is a little loud as well. Overall the soundscape just feels like it's missing something to fill it out. Part of it might be the bass, but it wouldn't hurt to have some backing synths as well.

Oh, and that ending...or lack thereof. Please add an ending!

Gotta start here, keep working at it.

NO (resubmit)

definitely has a really wide, flat sound to it that I can't quite explain in better terms. the synth was really hollow sounding. the sounds themselves were fine imo, the mixing is just holding them back. also, there's the arrangement, which of course you said was intentionally conservative, but I thought it was too much so, for OCR anyway, ballin' solo or not. feel free to disect the source material some more; it's perfectly respectful. :D

NO(resub)