*NO* Dr. Robotnik’s Mean Bean Machine 'Energy Beads'

OceansAndrew

Name: Arceace

Email address: jugglemon312@yahoo.com

Game: Dr. Robotnik’s Mean Bean Machine

Arrangement name: “Energy Beads”

Original track: Exercise Mode

Link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G-4lOQ-70Ro

The major goal behind this mix was to try to accomplish a few things that I have been struggling with production wise. I am trying to get a nice full sound, since I have noticed that my first few submissions have been rather sparse. I have worked on adding more layers to help keep things a little more interesting.

This was by far one of my favorite puzzle games as a kid. I used to sit down and play exercise mode for hours at a time, and I never got sick of this song. I find it very catchy to listen to, and I felt that it fit perfectly with the game play. One of the things that I wanted to capture in this mix was the slow speed up of how fast the game moved along. It starts off a little slow, but after a while it starts to kick into gear and the real fun starts.

I appreciate all of the help that the people on the judge’s panel provide. I am glad that they are able to share their experience with others to help them improve. I hope this is a pleasure to listen to.

Arceace

• 3 weeks later...

Pretty well layered, and full. The drums are really on autopilot though, which is unfortunate, because the mix of synths weaves such interesting textures; I would like to hear them doing more, and maybe sounding a bit fuller as well.

The arrangement is definitely expanded upon, and in a lot of ways deviates so far in style and expansion that I don't recognize the original in a lot of spots.

I definitely enjoy this, but I'm not sure there is enough source. If another judge could point out what I may be missing, it'd be appreciated.

Overall I think your synth sounds are great, but the drums aren't keeping up. Otherwise the production is interesting, varied, and balanced. The arrangement diverts a little too far for my comfort as well, so unless I am being obtuse and missing overt source, i'm going to have to ask that you revise the arrangement to contain more source. Your production is definitely on the way though. :-)

No, please resubmit

• 3 weeks later...

I think Andrew really summed up everything well here. The biggest drawback to this track is the lack of apparent source; you definite have a good soundscape going on. Lots of really fun textures here, but you'll have to work the source in to being more recognizable or present. I'll also agree on the drums; there's way more you can do to keep it interesting.

NO (resubmit)

• 2 weeks later...

definitely felt a little cluttered/overcompressed to me. the drums didn't have a whole lot of punch either, but I gotta agree that there are some groove synth sounds and processing.

very weird approach to the arrangement; like OA, I'm sorta at a loss as to how to break it down. I'm hearing the melodies pop up, but the backing seems to be pretty heavily modified. I gotta go with a NO for the production complaints alone, but if you decide to resubmit, a breakdown would certainly be helpful for all of us. :)

NO(resub)