Chrono Trigger - The Brink of Time (slight remix)

michinoku

I know, I'm only the billionth person to cover a song from Chrono Trigger, and mostly just finished this project a few months ago because it was a rainy-day thing that I worked on VERY sporadically over the last little while.

It's a pretty faithful interpretation except that it's in 4 and not 3, and there's a bit of an improvisation before returning back to the A-section at the end.

Check it out here, and comments welcome. http://soundcloud.com/gzarapanecko/the-brink-ov-time

Ok, this is just my impression after having listened to it only one time.

The intro leading up to ~1:06 sounds great. I like the seemly disorderly music but actually carries the tune. After that it seems like the song I was expecting never really came in at all. and the "Zombie choir" you have in the background for the majority of the song imho does not sound entertaining, and I feel that it drags this mix down considerably.

To be perfectly honest, this mix seems like it built up for something but never went anywhere. it just limped along with the same feel the entire time and never brought anything new to the table.

Try again please.

well, thanks for commenting. I was very much inspired by the spirit of the original which is quite minimal. Definitely learned a lot from the process of working on this one, both about myself as an arranger/composer but also about Logic Studio, the software I was using (and still use.)

I have another mix (yes, of yet another highly beloved Chrono Trigger OST tune so I am prepared for the worst!) which I hope to post in about a week or so.

the only major criticism i have is the lack of a download button on SC ;) i hate skewing the stats for the track, but a third of the listens are probably me.

this song sounds a little like something that belongs in the score for Fantastic Planet/La Planete Sauvage; a nice ambiance, with just enough character/disturbance to be interesting in the foreground as well. who cares what the source is.. i love where this is already.