Labyrinthine Madness(Electro House)

eilios

This is an Electro House remix of "

" from Super Mario RPG for the SNES. Some of you may remember that the first thing I ever remixed was this very track... it wasn't a very good remix. I decided to go back now with some of the skills I've learned to see if I could improve on the(admittedly lackluster) version I did, in a whole different genre.

Comments would be highly appreciated, even if they're just saying "good job" or "bad job" or whatever it is, the more detail the better! :)

I find there is as much to dislike as there is to like.

I feel like the intro is much too long. The bassline there is fine, but that other low synth you've got going doesn't really play any notes that conjure up the source. You then start building with stabs of the main melody, but why carry that first section so far when it really has no connection to the source? You could omit that first section all together really, considering you reset and start another build around 1:00.

The main section that follows is not bad. You have the main melody played together by a high saw and the bassline - why is the saw so quite? I think you should bring that out in the mix as your main lead.

I'm not sure what you're trying to do with the static/white noise that comes in and out during this section. It's really just kind of a random effect - if that's the case, it's kind of distracting and you could easily do something more interesting than that. I want to call it rain, considering the forest and all, but you can grab any real rain sample for that instead of trying to simulate it.

The section at 2:50 is where things really kick off for me. That's the kind of creativity and source play I expect from a mix such as this. You need to take that inspiration throughout the whole track IMO. Both your genre and your source tend to work against you in a mix like this, since they've both been explored a lot, so you're creativity is going to make or break this (probably along with the mixing/mastering, but you can get to that later). Again, I really like what you're doing in this section particularly and want to hear some more stuff like that going on.

Everything after that section is pretty good, seems like the real song happens from that point on. Honestly I'd probably be more impressed with the song if the first 2:00 or so wasn't even there lol. You should probably work on more impressive builds to more impressive drops. Really listen to some good electro house and compare it to your mix to know where you need to go.

My 2 cents, take it with a grain of salt. Lookin forward to progress!

I find there is as much to dislike as there is to like.

I feel like the intro is much too long. The bassline there is fine, but that other low synth you've got going doesn't really play any notes that conjure up the source. You then start building with stabs of the main melody, but why carry that first section so far when it really has no connection to the source? You could omit that first section all together really, considering you reset and start another build around 1:00.

Will keep this in mind, thanks! I liked the intro a bit more than you did, but I'll look into this.

The main section that follows is not bad. You have the main melody played together by a high saw and the bassline - why is the saw so quite? I think you should bring that out in the mix as your main lead.

Again, will look into it.

I'm not sure what you're trying to do with the static/white noise that comes in and out during this section. It's really just kind of a random effect - if that's the case, it's kind of distracting and you could easily do something more interesting than that. I want to call it rain, considering the forest and all, but you can grab any real rain sample for that instead of trying to simulate it.

I was going for rain with that, I was also going to put more atmospheric elements in it(in the breakdown before the main melody at 1:00 I was going to put some electrical things in it)

E: to explain, I don't really have a fully featured setup. Everything in this track is done in either Zebralette, Synth1VST, or 3xOsc. :|

The section at 2:50 is where things really kick off for me. That's the kind of creativity and source play I expect from a mix such as this. You need to take that inspiration throughout the whole track IMO. Both your genre and your source tend to work against you in a mix like this, since they've both been explored a lot, so you're creativity is going to make or break this (probably along with the mixing/mastering, but you can get to that later). Again, I really like what you're doing in this section particularly and want to hear some more stuff like that going on.

Thanks! :)

Everything after that section is pretty good, seems like the real song happens from that point on. Honestly I'd probably be more impressed with the song if the first 2:00 or so wasn't even there lol. You should probably work on more impressive builds to more impressive drops. Really listen to some good electro house and compare it to your mix to know where you need to go.

My 2 cents, take it with a grain of salt. Lookin forward to progress!

I love the in-depth commentary here!