*NO* Pokémon Black Version 'Oracle of the Spire'

DragonAvenger

Contact Information:

ReMixer name: AlmightyArceus

eMail address: jorwyn95@gmail.com

UserID: 33305

Submission Information:

Games arranged: Pokémon Black/White ; (Chrono Trigger)

Name of Arrangment: Oracle of the Spire

Name of individual Songs Arranged: Tower of Heaven ; Secret of the Forest

Composers: Junichi Masuda/ Yasunori Mitsuda

Links to Originals: Tower of Heaven -

Secret of the Forest - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PJzedahyjXE

More Information about mix: This little gem was created after one of my favorite songs from Pokémon Black and White. I changed the feel of the song to something of a more light, relieved setting than that of the tense, minor feel of the original; while still keeping the mysterious air within the song. I wanted less of a strong drum beat, and more of a smooth, flowing piece, like the feeling you would experience by standing at the top of the tower, with clouds surrounding you and the sun setting in the distance. A feeling of prophetic influence and glorious release to the sky surrounding. As such, the arrangement focuses less on the drums and more on the chords and flow.

Many have made the remark that the melody of "Tower of Heaven" is nearly identical to that of "Secret of the Forest," and with that fact in mind, I decided to mix that in with the rest, to make a nice minor bridge of the song, both pulling some of the original tension and feel from the OST, and also referencing the close connection between the two songs. "Secret of the Forest" was not meant to be the main feature of the song; it is more of an excerpt to express similarity and to add a bit more tense--but beautiful--feel to the bridge.

This track was produced entirely on Garageband 2011, by ear, aside from the drum tracks which were arranged on FL Studio 9. I take massive pride in this production as it is one I have spent the most time on this piece. I particularly enjoy the lead writing I produced for this arrangement, as well as the solo piano chorus that is written in. I do enjoy using the chords and toying around melodically with them, so you will definitely hear some playful sixteenth note chromatic licks within the song.

I hope you thoroughly enjoy the track I have to offer!

-------------------------

- Poké

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZPjRTvMAptg - Trigger

• 4 weeks later...

I still cannot get over the fact that the source is essentially the dungeon from LoZ:LttP and Chrono Trigger's Secret of the Forest put together. It's almost bothersome :D

Anyways, wherever the source may have come from, it is a nice tune, and I don't fault you for mixing it. I'm noticing right away that there are sections of the arrangement that feel pretty conservative to the original, structurally and mood-wise. I like that you put a lot of noodling on the main melody; it feels very Halc/Protodome style, along with some of your sound font choices, specifically the lead synth. My favorite part was the first few sections at 2:25, there were some cool chords there. On the opposite hand, I can't say I'm feeling 2:38; it doesn't seem to really fit the mood of the mix and then comes to a bit of a jarring halt. Overall there are some cool sections, and those like 2:38 that I think could either go or be relooked at.

Production also has some issues going on. I noticed a few sections where the lead is panning slightly, which is pretty awkward feeling. It's one thing to cameo a back and forth, which you do as well (albeit it doesn't exactly feel natural there either), but if it's extended and slightly panned, it feels pretty strange. The next big issue is the balance and reverb. A lot of the song is feeling pretty unclear, partly due to balance and partly due to your settings. I'd take a good look at trying to get better clarity on your instruments, especially the lead itself. None of the sounds themselves are blowing me away, and I think the lead at times feels out of place compared to the background. It might be a benefit to change your lead instrument to have a better meshing at those times.

I think you have a pretty solid start on this, and you can definitely work it up to our standards with some work.

NO (resubmit)

This has some good stuff going for it, but i feel the lead samples really static and in need of modulation, as well as the overall soundscape being pretty thin. The lead noodling gets distracting too, as it ends up being very busy with no clear direction.

Samplewise, I think enhancing the bass and giving the production more depth would help this feel a little richer. Adding more nuance to each insrument and having them feel a little more distinct would help.

overall this is a decent start, but needs further polish. :-)

No, please resubmit

ah yeah, I remember noticing the similarity when I heard this song in game, but I loved the subtle variations in the progression. black and white really had some fantastic tunes.

anyway, gotta agree that the arrangement is pretty nice, although I felt there were a few weird notes in some of the chords and faster melodic parts but for the most part I was digging it. the production however does have some issues, the overall sound is pretty thin and hollow. your square lead and some of the background strings are really the only thing cutting through. the drums didn't have any punch.

the sequencing I also agree was pretty static, especially that bit of breakdown with the piano playing all those fast lines, and the lead could definitely use some filter automations or something to give it a little more life.

keep working on this one. the arrangement has the potential to make it onto the site.

NO(resub)