CONTACT INFO

ReMixer name: Will T.

Email address:

SUBMISSION INFO

Name of game(s) arranged: Super Mario 64

Name of arrangement: 'The Last Dance'

Name of individual song(s) arranged: 'Staff Roll'

Creator comments:

In the summer of 2010, as part of my since-completed Associate's degree in MIDI Production, I took a course in which I worked in the school's on-campus recording studio, recording and producing tracks for local music groups. One of those groups recorded a jazz waltz piece, which stuck in my head for the rest of the day (no one else did anything close to that style, I promise you that...). It quickly morphed in my mind into a very similarly-styled version of Super Mario 64's "Staff Roll" track, one of my all-time favorite pieces. I knew I had to write it down.

About a month later I took a family trip to Orlando, FL (tip: Never go to FL in July/August, it is not possible to survive in that weather). In the evenings after days spent at theme parks I would work on this arrangement. By the end of our two weeks I had the whole thing finished notation-wise. It sat dormant, however, until earlier this year, when I rediscovered the files and started tweaking.

What you hear now is the end result, after over 12 months from first conception. To this day this piece remains very closely tied to the good memories of that FL trip. For that reason, I feel a real emotional attachment to this one that I hope conveys in the final product.

--

Thanks,

- Will Tinoco

-------------

I gotta agree that the arrangement idea is great and creative, but the execution is rigid, and the samples are pretty lifeless. The drums seem to be a little static as well, and are lacking life.

I think some humanization on the sequencing and some better samples would make this awesome; I'd hit u the WIP threads for some advice and possible sample help from some others. :-)

No

• 4 weeks later...

Nothing much to add. It's a neat concept, but the mechanical sequencing is very apparent, and the samples themselves aren't the greatest, either. Humanizing things would be the first step, then I'd look more into the arrangement and ways you could alter and vary the repeating sections more.

I'd also suggest using our WIP forums to get more advice on how to spice this up.

NO