Final Zone-Stage1

Garpocalypse

It's time for me to once again post another WIP based on a Sega Genesis game.

I'm sure my fans, :cry: have noticed that I have been on a Renovation Studios kick for the last month. And since my last WIP didn't get much attention http://ocremix.org/forums/showthread.php?t=36795

I guess I shouldn't get my hopes up for this one :smile:

This time I'm working on Final Zone. One of the best Shoot em up mech games that you've probably never heard of. Unless you've played Final Zone II. Which was crap.

stats.png

I used:

Dimension Pro

Rapture

Absynth

Ministry of Rock (just a wee bit this time)

Steven Slate Drums

Here's the first stage of the game, at this time i couldn't find a better link to the source.

Things I'm working on:

-The opening 20 seconds are an attempt to paint kind of a futuristic city concept. I'll either expand or scrap.

-My leads sound robotic, I tried playing this but it came out awful, so what's there now is a place holder until i get my keyboard skills up to speed.

-Making it longer

-I used both a House like drum kit and my usual rock/metal kit. Not sure if it really works, let me know what you think.

-gar

I really like the hollow synths used for the intro section, there. The saws used later sound comparatively plain, though. You need to at the very least thicken out the lead sound using some effect filters or something, because it just sounds bare and dry, as it is. The guitar was pretty awesome late in the WIP - I want to see more of it, for sure.

The drums are quite lackluster. The entire set is almost inaudible over everything else - be sure to bring it all out for us and give us a more interesting pattern than presented here.

I think it's starting out well enough. Keep on trucking.

Thanks alot for the comments. In the past I used to worry about putting up a WIP for a punching bag on the forums so i would spend way too much time obsessing over whether something was worth posting or not. Then i realized that I was preventing myself from learning as well as limiting my motivation. My new plan is to post something more often from now on.

For the opening, I was trying to get a shocking change in the mood of the piece. Like the opening to Die Hard 3 for example. "...Something something breakdown isn't it a pitty, doesn't seem to be a shadow in the city. But at night it's a different world..." BAAAAM!! :mrgreen: Change in mood.

Something like that at least.