*NO* Streets of Rage 'Streets of Haze'

DragonAvenger

Like the style you went for this, it's an obvious choice based on the source. Your drum writing is also pretty sweet, it really reflects the mood and adds to the arrangement as a whole. While there isn't anything adventurous going on, the track does have some decent expansion on the source, mostly in the style approach. The instrumentation doesn't really change throughout the mix, and I think some kind of change/breakdown would be helpful to break things up, as the arrangement does get a bit long towards the end. I wouldn't be opposed to some of the fat being trimmed here, making a shorter and more pointed arrangement.

There are some production issues that need to be addressed. Overall the track feels like it's got a lot of reverb on it, and it feels a muddy overall. Some of this is affecting the balance as well, as some parts aren't coming through clearly.

Getting that tweaked will be a good start, and hopefully the other judges will have some further feedback.

NO (resubmit)

Really nice drumwork here, that's definitely the part of the song that's grabbing me most. I like the soundscape that you've built up but the problem here is that you're pretty much relying on it for the whole song without much of a change. By the halfway mark I'm really hoping for something to break the monotony but it never really happens.

On the production side of things, I'll echo the complaint about the overall muddiness caused by too much reverb on a lot of your sounds, you need to ease up on that significantly. The rhythm guitars too are working pretty hard and making it hard to hear a lot of the other stuff that's going on. Overall, the mixing needs a re-balance and some other tweaks to reach a passable state.

Also, throw a more complete fadeout on your ending :-P

NO (resubmit)

• 3 weeks later...

agreed with the muddyness/reverb comments, pretty sure it's the overcompression of the master doing that. the track feels plenty loud, but there's still some headroom. see if you can back off the compression a bit and then boost your individual instruments as well as cutting out the unnecessary frequencies in their EQ. you should be able to get more clarity from your sounds this way.

I agree with the concerns with the arrangement sorta dragging on, but overall I think things click, and you took a nice direction with the style. my main beef is with the mixdown, but expanding on the arrangement a bit would only make this song sweeter. :)

NO(resub)