*NO* Duck Tales 'The Moon (Wressle's Excessive Birthday Mix)'

DragonAvenger

Hi,

This is my first submission to ocremix.org! :)

Remixer name: Daniel Wressle

E-mail: this one (me@danielwressle.com)

userid: 47626

Game: Duck Tales (NES)

Song: Daniel Wressle - The Moon (Wressles Excessive Birthday Mix)

Information: I think this one is fairly well known and I assume it's well documented on your site already

Inspiration: Finished for my friend Martin who is a huge NES music buff. It was unveiled for the first time at his birthday party, hence the name :).

Song URL:

If you have issues trying to click that link, just go here and manually click on it.

Thanks and looking forward to see if it will be accepted.

Regards,

Daniel

--------------

I was really impressed by the quality of the piano performance in the intro here. I can't even tell if it was sequenced or performed live, so props on that :-) The transition into the trance part of the mix didn't feel very inspired and certainly not seamless, but it's serviceable at least. I wouldn't mind hearing something a bit more creative done there though.

For the most part I think you've got a good handle on the mixing side of things here. There's a few nitpicks I've got in that area, though, that would definitely be good to hit up if you want to go for a resubmission (in the event that this doesn't pass.) At 3:06, your synth writing is really cool, but the mixing is too up-front for it to be a background element but too muddy and indistinct from all of the resonance/reverb to really function as a lead synth, either. Figure out what you're trying to do there and adjust your mixing accordingly :-) Overall, your leads could stand to come up in volume a bit, it feels like they're competing with that repeating background pattern that goes throughout almost the whole song when the pattern should be taking more of a backseat role to the new material being brought in.

My bigger qualms here though are that you simply have too much repetition and not enough substance after a certain point, and it's too conservative overall. Too much of the remix is based on the same loop that first shows up at :31. I think you've got a lot of potential with the sounds you've chosen and the already-passable production quality, but your arrangement definitely needs to either be trimmed down, or mixed with more unique variations. The unique solos and transitions that you've already got included in the mix sound really good, but there needs to be more of that so that the remix doesn't play so closely to the original and doesn't rely so much on the same repeating loops to flesh out your remix.

If you can rework your arrangement to cut out some of the fat and make the melodies/loops more personalized and less conservative, this could be a very good addition to OCR's catalog. Your production's already there for the most part, and you've got some great sound choices that work great for the classic source, but the arrangement itself needs some work in my opinion.

NO (resubmit!)

Emu really has a good handle on this. The main issue I'm hearing throughout the mix is the heavy reliance on the one background section of the source, which starts to drag on. I'd love to hear some variation on that part, you could do some cool alterations of that arpeggiated melody. Emu also mentions some production issues, that I will agree with. I also wouldn't mind hearing more variation in the drums.

Fun start, keep at it.

NO (resubmit)

agreed with what's been said by the other J's. production is sounding pretty good, but the arrangement needs to be polished off a bit more. really like that you kept the lead as a pulse wave, but gave it a lot more texture, while changing up the rest of the instrumentation.

wouldn't have been surprised to see this score a yes or two, but I gotta ask that you take one more pass at the arrangement. it's really close.

NO(resub)