*NO* Puggsy 'Crazy Coons'

DragonAvenger

Contact Information

· CJthemusicdude

· CJthemusicdude@gmail.com

· CJthemusicdude.com

Submission Information

Name of game(s) arranged: Puggsy (Genesis and Sega CD)

Name of individual song(s) arranged: Splinter Town

Name of remix: Crazy Coons

Link to the original soundtrack:

(Genesis) and
(Sega CD. They're the same song, just slight differences.)

Your own comments about the mix: I think I've said before that the Puggsy soundtrack is one of my all time faves. There are so many good tunes in this game, all deserving remix love. The Splinter town theme is one of the oddest tunes for probably the oddest stage in an already odd game. :P Well, hope you enjoy the remix!

Pretty cool, you're seriously channeling some Mazedude essence here and for the most part, it's working. You've picked a great source, given it your own personal touches while keeping the melodies relatively intact, etc. etc.

There's only one issue I'm having here, and unfortunately it's the same one that seems to keep popping up in a lot of your remixes: sample quality. It's not an across-the-board issue here, fortunately, but your drums and a few of your synths still sound pretty wimpy. I was pretty impressed with the ambiance in your intro, but for the body of the mix a lot of your synths sound like soundfonts that are incapable of any sort of articulation, which makes a lot of your melody/supporting lines sound stiff and static. I suppose there's a quaint simplistic charm about the track the way it is, but even some basic effects like pitch bending, portamento, or a more unique sample/patch to start with would really bump your synth lines up a level.

The drums are a bit more of a clear weak point though, when the kick is layered in with the electronic drum it's not so bad, but when it's exposed it's way too subdued. You need to just outright replace the snare/clap samples too, I feel like they're bringing down the track :-(

The mix overall felt just a touch too wet, other judges may disagree but I would like to hear this song with slightly lower reverb levels, too, it might help some of your sounds come through a bit clearer.

All that said, this is probably my favorite song from you to date. Don't touch a thing about the arrangement, just get the production up a notch and this should be good to go! Get this one back to us stat!

NO (resubmit!)

• 2 weeks later...

I'm a little less sold on the arrangement, but only in that I don't feel like there's a real connection between your intro and the rest of the track. I'd like something to bridge the sections better, or honestly I wouldn't mind it being dropped either. That aside, I will agree that the arrangement overall is pretty good, but 2:14-2:54 felt like a really long bridge where not much happened. The speed-up ending didn't feel very smooth either, and needs to be fine-tuned.

Production is the bigger weakpoint, as Emu has mentioned. The samples aren't really standing out as great (although they aren't super terrible either), and while some changes will help things out (drums), I think some of how you produce it might be the difference. I'm not super good on advice for how to do that, but hopefully the next judge might have a better idea of what you can do.

You are definitely improving with each submission. Keep it up and don't be afraid to visit the WIP forums if you haven't already!

NO (resubmit)

not a very cohesive blend of sounds. it's obvious you were going for, but the bass and especially the drums were cheap sounding, and the detuned synth felt really out of place to me when it first dropped, however that wasn't bothering me so much by the end. the sidechained sections also felt a lot tighter to me for some reason.

anyway, Emu definitely made some good points concerning the sounds, which is not in that they are bad (all the organ stuff was pretty nifty, btw), but the sequencing/processing just isn't expressive enough. little things, for example a few note slides or a filter automation here or there can go a long way towards making your melodies more effective.

keep working at it. as the others mentioned, you are always improving. :)

NO(resub)