*NO* Ace Attorney Investigations 'Howl Out, Wolf!'

DragonAvenger

Hah, now here's something I've never heard before :-P This is an extremely unique style that sounds like it'd be right at home in the soundtrack for a game like Wario Ware.

Even though this pretty closely follows the structure of the original song, you've got a decent amount of personalization present, mainly in how you adapted the original to the much faster upbeat tempo. The adaptation is definitely the main selling point of this remix, and it really excels at taking the source and turning it into something totally different while still sounding pretty close to the original. That said, the arrangement is pretty conservative even with all things considered, which may or may not hurt you in other judges votes.

However, it sounds like you're trying pretty hard to emulate the sound of a Nintendo DS game, and the weakness of the samples is kind of a sore spot as a result. The sounds you're using for the mix would work just fine as part of a soundtrack for a video game, but the guitar and sax sounds specifically are too fake-sounding for my liking as far as OCRemix production standards are concerned :-(

I think this would be really cool if you could replace or sequence those samples more realistically, and truthfully it's difficult to objectively review a mix that's in such an off-the-wall style, but it's not quite cutting it for me. Hope to see this again!

NO (resubmit)

• 3 weeks later...

I agree that the genre change makes for an interesting listen, and I like what you've got so far, but as Emu mentioned, the overall source is pretty conservative, and I think you need to have more development and personalization in here. The track definitely sounds like it's meant to be a soundtrack, with a loop incorporated, and that would be the time for you to really add your flair.

Samples are the other big weakpoint. Emu called it again with the sax and guitar especially. I'd see about pulling in some better samples and adding more humanization to them as well (the sax is playing super straight, no vibrato, rhythmic variance, etc).

This defnitely needs some work, IMO, but it's a neat idea that I hope you stick with. I'd use our WIP forums to get some further advice.

NO

• 1 month later...