*NO* Pokémon Gold Version 'Summit of the Sun Shrine'

DragonAvenger

• 5 weeks later...

Some interesting textures you have on. I like the Asian feel that you've incorporated here; I think it suits the original very well. That being said, I have a couple issues with your arrangement that I think need some fixing up. I'm feeling like when you use the source, you remain relatively close to the original, and then your original sections are completely disparate from the source. I'd like you to do a little more to work them together. Also, the second half of the mix feels a little cut and paste, and could have some more variety to it.

The production overall is pretty good, but I'm personally not a fan of some of your drums. I actually had to listen pretty closely to tell if there's some clipping/distortion going on, but I think it's just the drums. I'm in favor of you pulling back on those sounds or replacing them with something else. I'd also look at your humanization, some parts feel a bit stiff.

You've got a pretty great start here; the arrangement soundscape is unique but very complimentary to the original, and you have some good original ideas too. If you can marry them a little better, I think you'll be on a good track!

NO (resubmit)

• 2 weeks later...

interesting arrangement, I agree. sounds and sequencing overall aren't too bad, however I have a few specifics. the string stabs sound fakey, maybe try finding a different sample; it's not so much an issue when they're not exposed like they are in the intro. your first lead feels really repressed, and could afford to be brought forward a bit. also, the string lead at 1:16; perhaps making the backing more interesting there would make the sample feel a bit less exposed. I actually thought the drums were pretty thin myself, and could have been more present. there were some odd grooves that contradicted what the instruments were doing on certain beats, but overall I thought the writing and sounds were okay, they just need to give the mix a little more backbone.

overall, a very promising song, but there are a lot of easy fixes that would really push this over the bar.

NO(resub)

I'm pretty much in agreement here with the other judges, this is a strong arrangement with a lot of merit that would sound right at home in a console version of Pokemon G/S, but your production/sequencing is hindering the track just a bit too much, as well as a rather directionless progression. Basically, with some work on some of your backing instrumentation, like the strings, to make them sound a bit less rigid when they're exposed (i.e. during the intro) and a revamp on your drums so they're more defined and a little bit less distorted/indistinct, this would be okay on the production side.

Arrangement-wise, I don't feel like your original writing is detached from the source usage. My concern is that the arrangement just doesn't seem to go anywhere, there's no dynamic curve. It feels like you should be working towards a more dramatic climax instead of staying at the same energy level for pretty much the whole song. I think that altering your supporting instrumentation to rise and fall with the rest of the song would also help solve the cut-and-paste issue that DragonAvenger pointed out during the second half of the remix.

This is really neat though, I love hearing old Pokemon chiptunes updated to be more reflective of the area they represent. This does a great job expanding on the source, but the production/arrangement just need some more TLC. We hope to see you again soon! ;-)

NO (resubmit!)