First Attempt at Mastering

gillstudio

Hey guys, I'm new to the forums and wanted some critique on my first attempt at mastering with Izotope Ozone 5... The actual arrangement is rather boring, but that's not what I'm worried about. The overall sound is what I'm worried about right now...

I've only been mixing / recording for about a year now, so please keep that in mind...

Any critiques are much appreciated...

It's decent enough. The whole sound doesn't quite have that sparkle/high freq sound that professional masters have, and the lead electric guitar at the sounds a bit weak. I'm also thinking the bass might be getting lost behind the drums. Pulling back on the bass EQ for the rhythm guitar should free up so more room in the bass freqs to let more 'bassy' instruments breathe. But besides that it's not too bad sounding. A little more practice and you'll be pretty good at this.

Guitars sound nice enough.

Background sounds a little muddy. Not enough to make the song sound bad, but its just a nitpicky thing that I could hear. (at about 1:28 on in the video is where I'm talking about.

It could be that its just uploaded to YouTube. If you want to make sure something sounds nice, upload the mp3 to a file sharing website. I use soundcloud and it's really nice.

Good guitar for the most part though. Sounds nice :D