Rokko-chan Prog Remix

Meteo Xavier

Here's the source: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0YhleGWRIds

I was able to get a MIDI of Dr. Mad's Castle 3 from Rokko-chan from a generous Youtuber and I started work on what I hope will be a sort of non-guitar Progressive rock remix of it. I was inspired by Motoi Sakuraba's live stuff although this sounds almost nothing like it.

http://tindeck.com/listen/ttfj - the first half I'm fairly satisfied with, but the second half of this WIP so far is pretty messy. I haven't done a lot that I need to do with it yet (I'm still building ideas and the structure), but I can't tell if this is sounding awesome or just messy. A lot of transitions aren't in place yet and you can tell by the second half I'm just fucking around trying to find stuff that might work.

I guess what I really want to know is - am I even getting close to a decent remix? This one's not been very easy and even though I'm getting better at it in general, this one has been pretty messy. I'm committed to not repeating the same mistakes I've made with my other remixes and turning in a much better one to the Judges, I just want to know if it looks like this one could work.

Thank you!

Alright, there's the source. Seems like you have a decent arrangement of the track so far (albeit conservative). Some of the instruments seem to be pretty bland (like that 'guitar' thing playing rhythm, and the lead synth is a bit too vanilla). Overall, I think you could make this into a much more powerful mix if you spread your mix a bit better, since while everything is in the center, panning-wise, it creates a pretty dirty soundscape. I don't think there's too much going on, though - it just needs to be given more room via panning.

The mix is lacking a high end, as well, giving the track a dull sound, overall. An instrument or two that covered the highs would be a good idea to include/replace another instrument with, or even tweaking the master track's EQ highs would be a good idea.

I liked the chiptune stuff, and the overall direction could work quite well if you start adding some more variation to the track (as it's on the road to being too conservative, as it stands). The 'live-ish' drum set (especially the snare) doesn't seem to fit quite as well with most of your other instruments, here, since most of the track sounds sequence-centric. If you want to keep the more realistic drums try introducing more real instruments, like a guitar and replacing the sequenced bassline with a real bass... actually, you should find a way to do that anyway, as that would take your track to new heights, regardless.

I think it has a way to go to being on OCR, but I don't think it's inconceivable, as long as you're aware of what you need to do, here. They also better be willing to accept this flash game track, because Rokko Chan's soundtrack was amazingly awesome. Best of luck, bro.

I don't have a guitar doing the rhythm. I couldn't get one in there, so I focused on trying to make it the sort of guitar-less prog track with what I had available.

I'm pretty confused by some of what you're suggesting. The mix itself is already pretty wide IMO and there are instruments panned to one side and the other. Making it wider I'm afraid would make it too hot as FL Studio seems to indicate. I'm also pretty confused on how its getting too conservative a mix. I've highly varied up most of the recognizable tunes and changed up the structure and many of the chords of the song quite a bit while still keeping the recognizable stuff in tact.

As far as the comment with the bass - do you mean replace it with samples of a "real" bass or get someone to record a real bass for it? I'm already using Kontakt 4's Funk Bass (And Kontakt's "Real Bass" for bottom end) and I have no way of getting someone to actually perform it.

The rest I plan to update in the final version. I'm aware the synths need some modulation and the drum parts need more fills - I'm not there yet. Boosting the highs is a pretty good idea and I do mean to have strings come in later. The EQ will also be worked with some more in the final stages (I don't plan to master this myself, I'm just getting it to a stage where it could be mastered). Right now I'm mostly just concerned that it sounds energetic and like-able enough and that the transitions look like they may work with little bits of tweaking.

I'm not trying to be difficult or anything, but I have to admit many of those notes didn't make much sense to me.

It's fine dude, I just wanted to add more perspective to what I have available to mix with. I have some big boy toys to remix with now and I'm doing some new stuff here that I hadn't done in a remix before, but I'm still more limited to what I can really do than many other remixers here. I know this version is pretty rough right now, but I'd be really surprised if it were as rough as you describe.