NES Alien3 Industrial Metal

Mak Eightman

Hello!

It's my second attempt to this source. I had to made it from scratch, so i decided to make new thread for it.

Anyway, still in progress. Need to record more guitars, fix some playing and I think drums is way to chaotic. I dunno. Let me know what do you think. Bad, good, useful, whatever. Thank YOU!!

RMX: http://soundcloud.com/mak-eightman/alien-walking-wip

SOURCE:

As I listen:

Intro sounds super-distorted; even moreso compared to the explosive guitar sound that soon enters. Are you going for a lo-fi feel here?

I really like that the tempo has been bumped up a notch, incidentally.

I am impressed with your transcription of the inner harmonies here, but am not sure that a straight cover of this works well...hopefully things change up.

The lead switch at 1:20 is nice, and the electric guitar here really does a nice job of recalling the NES feel of the original (especially Power Blade et al).

The break to the synth lead emphasizes the harmonies discussed earlier for just a second, but I don't hear them when the guitar comes back in. IMO either ditch the synth moments (which are weak compared to how awesome this guitar is) or utilize it underneath the guitar.

I like that the repeat of the section originally heard at 1:20 has a few new variants to the melody -- even more deviance from the melody would be just fine here; in fact, I'd consider a slight elongation of this section if you remove the synth moments, allowing you to really open up with guitar before the piece ends.

For me the piece really kind of ends at 4:20 when the guitar leaves -- the ending with the synth returning for like two chords only to fade out again doesn't do much for me.

Overall: Emphasize those moments you really make the guitar shine. Good stuff here, but it's cluttered by some material clinging too closely to the original.

Thanks man! I'll see what I can do. I completely dislike 2:15-2:31 section, so I need to think about again. Ending was at 4:20, but I had to find some place for original source background, so.. I'll destroy it if I find the way out with 2:15.

Intro sounds the way I exactly wanted. I hear no production issues, caused by this synth(no distortion btw). But thank you for your opinion! I take it in mind.

Source usage is my weakest point. So yes.. Sometimes it sounds like a cover, but I like it like this. Plus I made some new sections, I dunno..

Overall, I think I need to go back to "no synth" version of this.

THANK YOU! Interesting review man! Thanks!