newbie here... SMB2 Cover

JDFX

Hey OC!

My name is JDFX and I'm a little new to this site. I've heard alot about it and I know there's a alot of hype over it so I figured I would check it out and see what the fuss is all about. So far I'm really enjoying what I'm hearing from the artists that have submitted tunes, as well as the feed back from the listeners. I'm thinking about submitting a couple remixes here and I figured I would post here in the forum first to try and get some feedback on what people think. I only have one VG remix posted on my soundcloud but I also have my mc chris remix posted that I won best sample for in his recent contest "remix wars". Take a listen and tell me what you think!

http://soundcloud.com/jdfx/smb2-ending-remixxxx

Source:

Well, first of all welcome to OCR - you'll have a good time, here, I suspect.

There are a few rules/courteous things that you should know when posting in the WIP forums. When posting a remix, please name what game/track you are remixing in your title - that way people know what they're listening to. A source is also necessary to provide, as not everyone is familiar with the source (yes, I know people who haven't played SMB2... much sadness). Finally, when linking to a track please link to the track and not to your home page. Feel free to link to your home page in your signature and people will find you from there, but people will primarily want to listen to a remix in this forum (also, it's a part of the rules, as seen here).

As for the remix, I actually like the sounds used in it - a nice combination of chiptune sounds and fake guitar, and it works. The production is quite a mess, though - it's just brickwalled like crazy, and it clutters the soundscape a lot. To your credit I can still hear most of the instruments alright, but the soundscape would be greatly improved if you didn't max out your limiters on the track.

It's a very nice cover. I'll give the heads up and say OCR as a site wouldn't be able to accept the track on the grounds that it's a cover and not a rearrangement of the source, but you're not stating that as a goal anyway, so no worries. Sometimes people in here will mention that something is a 'cover' in a negative light because of that rule, though, but don't worry about it unless you're planning on submitting to the site.

Alright, I made a few changes to your post to help it follow the conventions of this forum. I hope to see you around here more. :)!!

Hey thanks alot! I've been interested in finding more feedback in my music so i figured this was the place to do it. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction and helpin out a newb lol. You guys should def hear alot more from me in the future. once again thanks =]

Also though I'm a little confused... How is my track a cover? Everything on here is a cover... how does one dub something as a remix and not a cover. When I listen to the tracks submitted on here I just here the song as posted with a different sound than what it originally is. I guess I'm just confused on what you consider a remix and not a cover. explain?

Ah, on OCR people distinguish between a cover and a rearrangement based on how close the arrangement sticks to the source. If the arrangement is very close to the source then it would be considered a cover, whereas something that has more fun with the source and has more originality would be a rearrangement.

As I said, there is nothing wrong with covers - they're awesome. It's simply that if something is submit to OCR there is a certain amount of reinterpretation that would be required in order for it to be passed. If you listen to posted remixes you'll see that they do tend to change the structure of the songs they represent, sometimes quite a lot, in fact.

I hope that helps.

Not much to say here other than what Gario said. As it stands, its very messy. Try to EQ, compress, and add some subtle panning to spread out the sound so it's more organized and pleasant for your listener.

Gario's already given you the 411 on arrangement, so i wont bother saying anything about that.

Welcome to the community, and good luck in any future mixes.