*NO* U.N. Squadron 'From Clouds to Keys'

OceansAndrew

Your ReMixer name: meccaneer

Your real name: TJ Ryan

Your email address:

Your website: http://www.facebook.com/TheMeccaneer

Your userid (number, not name) on our forums, found by viewing your forum profile: 2452

Name of game(s) arranged: U.N. Squadron / Area 88

Name of arrangement: From Clouds to Keys

Name of individual song(s) arranged: Enemy Airforce

Additional information about game including composer, system, etc. (if it has not yet been added to the site)

Toshio Kajino, Mari Yamaguchi, Yasushi Ikeda (per SNESmusic.org)

Link to the original soundtrack (if it is not one of the sound archives already available on the site)

SPC file obtained from Zophar.net

Your own comments about the mix, for example the inspiration behind it, how it was made, etc.

Definitely, one of my favorite shoot-em-ups.

And one of many remixes started many years ago.

• 1 month later...

This is pretty interesting, especially since as a whole the arrangement is super sparse. There's barely any bass in here, and rarely more than 3 instruments going on at the same time. In terms of how things stack up, I'd have to say it's easily more interesting when there are more parts going on vs. the single melody sections. Fleshing out your arrangement overall would really help things here. Similarly, the drums overall have an interesting texture, and I like them, but with so little going on elsewhere it's hard for the drums not to sound repetitious quickly. Adding more interesting fills and writing overall will help keep things interesting in a sparser atmosphere like what you have.

On production I am noticing some areas of distortion/crackling. Maybe another judge could confirm that for me. In terms of the sounds themselves, I wasn't super blown away by anything, and I didn't think anything was at a level that needed to be switched out. The older sounds kinda work for what you're going for, but other's may disagree. I will note that a lot of the parts sound very mechanical, and could use some humanization.

There is a lot of work to be done here, but I think in terms of the actual arrangement structure you have things planned out well. Fleshing out the arrangement itself will be a good start to things, and hitting up some production issues.

NO (resubmit)

• 4 weeks later...

yeah, the overall arrangment is way to sparse here, and the composition itself, particularly the leads, seems completely awkward and random to me. the lack of any sort of chord structure or progression or reference point of any sort behind the melodies makes it even harder for me to make any sense of this. sorry to be harsh on this, I wish I could provide some helpful criticism, but I'm not sure what else to say. just not feeling this one.

NO