Stickerbrush Symphony (Any Key Liquid DnB Remix)

anykey

First post here, just wanted to get some opinions and ideas for this, and figured here would be the best place for opinions.

I saw no-one had done a complete remix of this track yet that wasn't similar tempo to the original (that I could find), so I thought I'd give it a shot - I've still got tons to learn (this is only the second DnB track I've ever done, heh) and was wondering if anyone had any thoughts or ideas on here! While I won't ever be able to top the original (my fave track from any SNES game) I wanted to put a bit of a spin on it, complete with cheesy guitar strumming!

Feel free to criticise or whatever - I'm aiming to improve so anything constructive would be awesome (obviously anything like "It's shit" doesn't help me a lot, haha :P)

http://soundcloud.com/pressanykey/dkc2-ost-stickerbrush-symphony

Nice bg stuff in the intro. :D

Repetition is a problem tho, there's a lot that can be done, both with the drums and with the other elements, to alleviate that. Nothing says you need all 5 minutes, either, you could easily chop out stuff around the 2-minute mark, also in the last minute.

Why does the 3:00 part seem overcompressed when the rest doesn't?

That fake guitar thing sounds terrible. It's mixed in ok, but it's sound and writing just doesn't sound like a guitar. Ending of the mix seems to be just dropping one track after another. Seems lazy, but it'd be more tolerable if the track had a good finale, a good final high point after which stuff could start dropping out. Now you've only got that terrible fake guitar there. :P

Good first post. Welcome to ocr. :)

Nice bg stuff in the intro. :D

Repetition is a problem tho, there's a lot that can be done, both with the drums and with the other elements, to alleviate that. Nothing says you need all 5 minutes, either, you could easily chop out stuff around the 2-minute mark, also in the last minute.

Why does the 3:00 part seem overcompressed when the rest doesn't?

That fake guitar thing sounds terrible. It's mixed in ok, but it's sound and writing just doesn't sound like a guitar. Ending of the mix seems to be just dropping one track after another. Seems lazy, but it'd be more tolerable if the track had a good finale, a good final high point after which stuff could start dropping out. Now you've only got that terrible fake guitar there. :P

Good first post. Welcome to ocr. :)

Thank you!

Haha, the guitar part was written out with MIDI data and a sampled guitar from Alchemy - I may well remove it and learn to play those chords on an actual acoustic (shouldn't take too long, only hard part is finding a decent mic, hah) but looking back on it, it does sound very artificial, the notes being played well not even be physically possible on a real guitar, thinking about it. I may well go ahead and replace it and try and build up a few more sounds for that bit instead.

The ending is something I'll aim to improve on a long with the repetition part - I think it stems from me fleshing out a track by penning in different sections that I want then building the track around that (if I don't do this I tend to end up with a load of short loops rather than a coherent track). I'll have to go in and cut down - or build on - some of the slower-moving parts :)

As for the compression bit, I'm not entirely sure - although I'm noticing it a bit more now, haha. It may be because I'm using tape saturation after the filter that cuts down through that part, other than that I'm not entirely sure.

Thanks for the critique, I'm really glad I decided to post here now! I'll throw some updates to it together in the next couple of days :)