*NO* Super Metroid 'Mother Dances in Steel Heels'

OceansAndrew

• 1 month later...

was digging the arrangement of this one at first, but the sounds were definitely wearing on me after a minute or two. they sound like they came from one of those little casio or yamaha keyboards we all had when we were younger. the mixing is also a bit overcompressed I think, there's definitely some rumble/distortion in the low end during the heavier bits. i think all the hard-panning is a bit much too, that combined with the dryness of the instruments makes the soundscape sound sparse despite all the activity going on. hope not to come off too negative here, as the arrangement has nice ideas but the sounds and production need a lot of work.

NO

• 3 weeks later...

I think Drew nailed this. There are some parts of the arrangement that are really kickin', but the sounds get old very quickly, and the arrangement does start to feel a bit repetitious after a while. I would love to hear this cleaned up a bit, taking Halc's suggestions, and maybe altering the arrangement a little to get some more variation in there.

NO (resubmit)

• 3 weeks later...

A pretty unique sound, and some good arrangement ideas, but it feels like the various elements are all fighting for dominance throughout, and not frequently working together. I think it’s just a lot of instruments with a similar EQ band. The lack of shifting instruments throughout makes it feel like it drags, even though new ideas are being introduced. Soundwise, some of the lofi stuff is good, but I think having more higher fidelity samples would help differentiate the sounds a bit more.

Arrangement is cool, but the production needs polish. The machinelike and spastic nature is very interesting and deserves further exploration. I’d hit up the WIP threads for some more detailed critiques, but you have a great start!

No, please resubmit