*NO* Sonic the Hedgehog 3 'Polyhydro'

DragonAvenger

Hello,

I have made several remixes of original game soundtracks, this is my first submission to ocremix.

i want to see if i qualify as a remixer for ocremix's high standards.

Remixer name: TheMrkuul

email:

userid:49053

game: Sonic 3

name of arrangement: Polyhydro

name of song arranged: Hydrocity zone act 2

original:

info: i decided to make a dancy/trancy tune out of an already good one, use of many different instruments (for example a REAL modded NES :))

all incorporated in the track. it retains the original, but different.

my track(s) are hosted on soundcloud:

Hope to hear from you again,

Regards,

Luuk Neele (TheMrkuul)

• 1 month later...

Definitely a fun submission, I love how you worked with the upbeat feel of the original. Right away the bass sample stands out as mechanical due to it being on it's own. I'd love to have that humanized a bit to really start off the track on the right foot. Once other instruments kick in it's not an issue, but it's definitely exposed right at the beginning. In terms of the rest of the synths, I think everything is a bit generic, although the instruments are complimenting each other well. More variation and change-ups might be the thing that really helps keep the energy up, as the same soundscape started to wear on me.

What's killing this dead is the arrangement. It is overall pretty coverish, but I did really like the subtle personalizations that you have on the melody line and other parts, but you follow the structure of the original exactly, and then everything repeats...twice. There's just not enough arrangement here for what we look for. As it stands, even if your mix only played through once, it would need more in terms of expanding on the melody, backing, or structure (or all three!) to get a pass.

I do think you have a start here on some of the ideas you have to make it your own, and I think you can definitely take it further. Listen to some mixes recently posted and compare them to the original sources to get a feel for some ways those mixers have approached their sources. I'd also use our WIP boards to get some more feedback and advice. Good luck!

NO

good comment by DragonAvenger- the overall soundscape clicks as a whole, but the sounds on their own are definitely kinda vanilla sounding (as well as stiffly sequenced and articulated) and not too far from their original genesis counterparts, just more hi-fidelity. I'll have to agree that the main issue here is the arrangement, which as far as I can tell is pretty much a straight cover outside of a few grace notes- you need to do more to make it your own.. changing the key, chords or tempo, adding your own harmonies/original melodies/solos, adapting it to a different style or set of instruments.. anything along those lines. as it is this is just too close to the original for us to consider as an ocremix. keep at it though, and hope to hear more from you in the future!

NO

cheesy sounds nonwithstanding, This track is sonically very tight. I don't count the sounds against the mix whatsoever. they are well used and well mixed. I actually really like this cover. But that's the problem. It's a cover.

I'm going to keep this for my own collection, but there's really nothing changed in the arrangement, which is one of the main things we are looking for at OCR.

NO