Lack of legato samples

Are there any tricks to get a more legato feel out of non-legato samples? I'm using Garritan GPO4 and Logic's built in samples.

Currently I'm drawing mod wheel data to control the attack's volume - giving me sort of a slur kind of feel as well as mixing it up with some portamento. :banghead: Help? :smile:

Are there any tricks to get a more legato feel out of non-legato samples? I'm using Garritan GPO4 and Logic's built in samples.

Currently I'm drawing mod wheel data to control the attack's volume - giving me sort of a slur kind of feel as well as mixing it up with some portamento. :banghead: Help? :smile:

If it's a polyphonic patch, overlapping the note durations will probably help. Depending on what kind of instrument it is, it might also sound good if you give both a slow attack and a slow release when you overlap so the notes blend more -- this will probably mean that the notes won't line up with the tempo grid, though, so use your ears to figure out where the notes should be placed. Doing this should work especially well for strings.

Thanks Moseph! I'll give that a go, pretty sure my notes are not overlapping.

Attack velocity wise they are at minimum, sadly the GPO samples are still very punchy :-/ Don't think I've got release control on GPO...

EDIT: I'm using them on Oboe and Trumpet.

Cheers!

Thanks Moseph! I'll give that a go, pretty sure my notes are not overlapping.

Attack velocity wise they are at minimum, sadly the GPO samples are still very punchy :-/ Don't think I've got release control on GPO...

EDIT: I'm using them on Oboe and Trumpet.

Cheers!

Attack time and velocity aren't the same things -- I'm not familiar with Garritan, so I'm only assuming it has the option to change attack time. Usually there will be a knob labeled "attack," and increasing the value will increase the amount of time it takes for the sound to reach its full level. (Whereas velocity controls how loud the sound is overall and/or what version of the sample is played.)

Hi Moseph! Thanks for the clarification. I don't think I got attack timing there, but I will take another look at the sampler.

In GPO, the velocity of the note determines how much attack it has got, and the mod wheel determines volume. Maybe it's one of them CC controls...

That said, I am pretty sure I saw attack time on the Play sampler, perhaps it is time to make the switch to symphonic orchestra....

Cheers!

Hola!

I just re-did a big portion of my mix with your tips, this time with EWQLSO. The overlapping of the notes plus attack time did *wonders*! Thank you very much!

Cheers for hunting down the GPO legato mode - I have used it, however, the legato segments sound very mechanical to my ears. I think I'm going to look into using more of SO. SO's quite re-verby, even with the close mics. I find it more challenging to fit together in the mix with my other non-SO instruments.

Thanks again!